1752774 Members
4764 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Searching for correct rack mount rails for HP DL380 G6

DonahueIT
Occasional Contributor

Searching for correct rack mount rails for HP DL380 G6

Having some problems getting our DL380 G6 servers to fit on our rack.  Using rails with part number 487244-001.  Problem is that the server stops short of fully sliding into the rack on these rails - it sticks out of the rack about 2 inches. Our rack, I believe, is deep enough at 34 inches, front to back. Rack is Chatsworth 4 post rack (not HP). I noticed that there exists a rack mount kit with a different part number - 487267-001.  Is there more than one type of rails for this CPU? We can fit ML350 G5 and Dl380 G5 nicely on our rack with no problems, it is just the DL380 G6.  Thanks for any insight.

Don

5 REPLIES 5
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Re: Searching for correct rack mount rails for HP DL380 G6

Do you have the SFF or LFF model of the DL380?
You can see pictures of both here on page 46
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13234_na/13234_na.pdf
LouisH
Valued Contributor

I hope this will help......

We have a DL380/G6 LFF model in an HP rack.

We are not using cable managment.

On the side of the rails provided by HP for this server is a manufacture P/N.

487244-001 (Foxconn A). There is no top, bottom, left or right on these rails. You just need to clip the inside rail (server attached) to front....that's it! I thought there may have been a second latch as on the DL580 G5 rails, but  nothing like that on these...

This should be ok in your rack as it is only 1 and 1/4 inches deeper than a G5.

Regards,

Louis

DonahueIT
Occasional Contributor

First of all, we have both a SFF and LFF DL380 G6 server and there is no difference between them in terms of size, length and how they fit on rails for a rack.  The only difference is the drive slots.

Now, the rail parts we do have (for which we have this problem) are indeed the 487244-001 ones mentioned in a response above, and these are the rails that do not work for us.  Again, we are using a more generic, 4-post Chatsworth rack.  Actually, the only way we can now get these rails to work is by defeating the automatic stop feature when you pull the server out (if this is not defeated by being bent in, the server will never come out of the rack) and by drilling holes in the rear of the rails and then putting a screw in there to stop the rails so they do not go back further than they should.

Trust me, we have tried everything and the above procedure is the only thing that works.  This does NOT seem normal with a server of this quality of construction.

JGNCX

Wondering if you found the solution. i am having the smae issue and can not figure it out. It seems as if the rails are not correct.

anthony11
Regular Advisor

We have no end of problems with HP's rails, at one site we have to take a drill to them since HP targets square-hole racks and their procedure for round-role racks doesn't work.

Rails are something Sun got right, the rails for the x4100m2/x4200m2 etc. mount more readily and are a lot sturdier and smoother.