ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748184 Members
4035 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array P822 2GB Self Test Error (X-1783)

Alphaprot
Occasional Collector

Smart Array P822 2GB Self Test Error (X-1783)

Dear community,

I purchased a Smart Array P822 and installed it alongside a P410 in my DL180 G6 server (which is actually a SE326M1). Upon first boot, everything worked fine, the new P822 recognised the existing configured logical volumes and was recognised itself.

Because no OS is currently installed and the server just went "blank", I forced a shutdown. After restarting the machine, I was greeted with Slot 2 HP SmartArray P822 Controller - 1783-Slot 2 Drive Array Controller Failure! [Self-test failure (cmd=0h, err=00h, lockup=0AB:1h)]

If I remove everything apart from the P822 (no cache, no P410), I get a warning about an unsupported configuration (no cache installed), but the controller initializes.

If I insert the cache module or cache module and battery pack, I get the error code above. So it seems that the cache module is faulty. Is it that, what the lockup-code above represents? I don't want to just spend money on buying new cache if it might not be the cause of the trouble.

Two additional things: I do know that the P822 succeeds the P410 by a few generations (and is thus not listed as compatible for G6 servers). But HPE employees told me, that almost every SA Controller should work from a technical point of view, so I thought I could give it a try. The fact, that it showed up nicely at first is a good sign^^

Secondly, I am "just" a seventeen year-old pupil with a big interest in IT and servers. Unfortunately, HPE tends not to be very hospitable to people who do not own a valid warranty subscription. But I'm kindly asking for your advice.

Best regards

Yannik Zausig

5 REPLIES 5
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please update Smart array (822) controller firmware  to latest 8.32 and check the status,

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_158d748973474d6cb723efc410#tab-history

If still same issue,

Consider replacing cache.

However, my advice is to go with the supported Controller.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

Alphaprot
Occasional Collector

Hi Sudhir,

thank you for your reply, I'll try the firmware upgrade ASAP.

I did some further testing though; you can sort of bypass the error by removing every attached drive before startup. In the Option ROM messages, the P822 will than initialize just fine (and tell you that there are no logical volumes of course).

If you enter the ACU (F8) and insert the drives again, they will all show up and can be configured. But on the next reboot, the same error re-appears.

I'll keep you updated if the FW upgrade could resolve my issue.

Thank you and best regards

Yannik

Alphaprot
Occasional Collector

Hello again,

even after updating to the latest FW (8.32B), I get the warning message. The cache does not seam to be broken though, because if I run hpacucli and print the controller details, it shows that everything is working, that a cache module is in place (2GB) and a capacitor. So the cahce seems at least seated correctly.

Cache status is shown as "Not configured" though.

Best regards

Yannik

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi, 

Not sure but it seems like something wrong with the controller, 

also please configure cache as 50/50 % from the array configuration utility.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

Alphaprot
Occasional Collector

Hi Sudhir,

I've got some really good news: The P822 is now in a working state, where the array configuration is persistent across powercycles and no self-test errors occur.

After updating the controller firmware and checking the stats inside the HPACUCLI, I realized that all the drives (which I plugged in after the "blank" self-test) where shown with the exact same size, type - and location inside the drive bay.

The last thing made me a bit curious - so I decided to take a closer look at the backplane/SAS-expander section. Updating the backplane to the latest available PMC-firmware (2.50) finally did the trick.

NOTE: The firmware flash for the backplane needs to be done with the backplane connected to a P410 or comparable model!

While the drives' individual UID lights are still off by one box (e.g. turning the UID lights on for a drive in Bay 4 results in a blue light in Bay 3), everything else seems to work just fine.

Thank you for your help and warm regards

Yannik