108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Speeding up Version Control Repository Manager after reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
JLeslie
Frequent Advisor

Speeding up Version Control Repository Manager after reboot

Is there any way to speed up the HP Version Control Repository Manager after a reboot of the server? I ask because if there is a critical update that requires a reboot, then it seems like I have to wait forever to start the install of other updates while the Repository Manager does its thing so that its icon and the icon of the VCA are no longer the blue circle with the white question mark but the green circle with the white checkmark indicating they are ready to use.

JL

6 REPLIES 6
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

How many PSP's do you have inside your VC repository? I assume it is too much... The more items inside, the longer it takes after a reboot of the VCRM server...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
JLeslie
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for that! I hadn't thought of it but it makes perfect sense. I'll be removing all old PSPs from the servers and looking forward to faster response from the system. Thanks!

JL

Ralph Frampton
Frequent Advisor

It's a bit more to manage but another way to speed things up for the production servers is to adopt a dual or more VCRM strategy:

• One is the Ingest VCRM for all updates from HP (limit VCA's connected to it to check for new updates)
  • Only copy required or desired updates to a Distribution VCRM (production servers connect to this one), this one will be much faster given it's drastically reduced file count
  • Add additional VCRM's to remote sites (eg. for slow WAN's) & set server VCA's in that site to that local VCRM

If you only want one VCRM then you should upgrade the version to the latest as it now includes ability to Delete and/or Archive items that aren't needed for your site/servers.

RF

JLeslie
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the tip about the delete/archive function. I had no idea about that.

JL

michelvm

Hello,
I'd like to cleanup the repository but when I delete a PSP (PSP for Windows 200 7.20A), the VCR reloads it after the service restart.
The same behavior appear when I archive item.

MarkU
Advisor

We are experiencing this problem. I can't archive anything because there is never enough time between "Catalog validation starts" to do the work. Sometimes the Catalog validation never actually completes before it starts again. 

Is there a configuration setting to reduce the frequency of validation to say once a day? And set the time is starts.

We are running latest 7.5.3. and only have 2 PSPs installed - so fairly minimal.

Mark