1751903 Members
5576 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Starting up Health Monitor

Pigsinspace72
Frequent Visitor

Starting up Health Monitor

I have a hp proliant dl580 g5 running the latest Arch Linux operating system using the commandline.

I recently compiled and installed the hp-health package to control the fan speed(as there are no drivers found from lm-sensors)

I run the command [quote]hpasmcli[/quote] as that is the only command I know of for the hp-health package and it returns the error

[code]

ERROR: Could not open /dev/cpqhealth/cdt.

Please make sure the Health Monitor is started.

[/code]

Any information on how to start the Health Monitor or how to control fan speed would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Pigsinspace72 wrote:
I recently compiled and installed the hp-health package to control the fan speed(as there are no drivers found from lm-sensors) 

I didn't know the source was avaialable for hp-health. What did you compile?

Any information on how to start the Health Monitor or how to control fan speed would be nice.

look at the hp-health init script

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Pigsinspace72
Frequent Visitor

I compilled the tarball...

Where would the hp-health init script be located?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

link to the source file used?

Pigsinspace72
Frequent Visitor

Heres to the packagebuild https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/hp-health/

I managed to start up the health monitor but it doesnt seem to have the option to control the fan speed, only to show the fan speeds.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Arch linux isn't a distro I'm familair with, after looking at the above link it appears there is some type of wrapper that extracts the binary files from an RPM and replaces the startup scripts with something Arch can use.  It's not really compiling source.

Anyways to answer your question; hpasmcli will show fan speeds, it cannot control them.  Loading the health driver should slow the fans to a minimally required setting and only increase speed when needed due to thermal events.  Will this work properly under Arch, can't reallty say as it's not a distro tested. make sure ipmi is running

Pigsinspace72
Frequent Visitor

When the server boots up, the fan speed are at 100%, when the operating system loads, the fan speed go down to 40%. 

From what Im hearing is that controlling the fan speed is not possible through software...

Is it possible to rig up some sort of hardware contraption to control the fan speed by changing the voltage?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

From what I recall on that older model server is that the health driver will lower the fan speeds to a nominal level. The question is, will the health driver work properly with your Linux distribution.

The only thing I can really offer at this point is as a test load a supported OS with the health driver and see if the fans slow more than 40%.

Pigsinspace72
Frequent Visitor

Would this work if I ran the supported OS on a virtual machine?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

no, the host needs to be a supported OS