3257 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Strange Power Issues - HP DL380 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
MFarley

Strange Power Issues - HP DL380 G5

Having some stange power errors showing up on my HP DL380 G5 - at first I was unable to get a temperature reading and was getting strange power supply errors reporting in Insight Manager. It would show that a power supply had failed and power redundancy was lost then a minute later it would have a message saying power supply repaired power redundancy restored. I tried putting in a spare power supply but was still getting the same issues.

I ended up replacing the power control board and then was able to get a temperature reading, but still having the same power supply failures showing up in the Insight Manager - though now its always power supply 2 instead of power supply 1.

Any ideas?

Current BIOS - P56
Current iLO - 1.81
7 REPLIES 7
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,
first of all update firmwares to latest level.
Lateast bios is from 10 Sep 2009, Ilo firmware 1.94, check Smartarray firmware as well.

And - do not forget to update yor PSP to latest 8.5 - could be driver/agent related issue.

Let us know.

Jan
Saberus
Valued Contributor

Whoa there! Don't install iLO 1.94! The DL380G5 uses the iLO2, the current firmware for that is 1.82 or 2.00

If you try to force the older iLO's firmware, the iLO2 will reject it. So not chance of killing the iLO2, just trying to prevent headaches.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

ahh, sorry with ilo... I have small brain-out-off-office during writing it, of course use ilo2 firmware...use ilo2 firmware v2.0

Jan
MFarley

Updated iLO and PSP but still coming up with these random power supply failures.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

how old is your dl380? there a big amount of defective PSU for this unit part 403781-001.

check for a revision number and a colored dot. tell us what you have.

Power supply backplane, power cables, ILO FW, ILO both drivers, and power supplies are the involved ones.

something else, check IML and system.evt when the failure occurs and let us know if when ilo detetcs failure a sensor reading is logged at windows level.
akilrajdho
Occasional Visitor

Hi Guys,

I have a Proliant 380 G5 server and i have two power supply units. I have connected both of the power supplies to a APC 3000 UPS. Whenever we have power outages even though the server is connected to the UPS it gets restarted. It is strange because I have 3 other servers connected to the same ups and they all work fine but somehow this particular server gets restarted. When i check the logs i see this message :

POST Error:1615-Power Supply Failure or Power Supply Unplugged in Bay 2

I have tried removing one of the power supplies and even interchanging their slot possitions and still i get the same problem. Any help will be highly appreciated.

MohamedSulthan
Advisor

Then same issue even i had faced but try replaceing the  power distribution chip which is near the power supply. 

Best Regards
Mohamed
System Engineer