1752390 Members
6061 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 on Gen9

DivMaster
Occasional Visitor

Ubuntu 16.04 on Gen9

How to install Ubuntu on HP PROLIANT ML10 SERVER 838124-425 Gen9 Server?

I have tried several times but it doesn't boot.

Please tell me how can I install Ubuntu 16.04 server version?

7 REPLIES 7
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If the only disk controller in the system is the embedded 'B' series Dynamic Smart Array, change it from RAID mode to SATA AHCI mode. There is not a driver available for the RAID controller and Ubuntu 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
DivMaster
Occasional Visitor

Dear Jimmy,

I was able to install Ubuntu 16.04 with "RAID" in bios settings, I was having issue for grub so I installed Boot-Repair and it fixed the issue. Everything seems working well on Ubuntu side, Now my only question is how would I know that my RAID is working properly?

Thank you...

P.S it's my first ubunut/server setup.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Which disk controller are you using? If it is the 'B' series Dynamic Smart Array it requires either the 'hpvsa' or 'hpdsa' driver. I'm not sure if that system has the embedded B120i or B140i, in either case the driver is not available for Ubuntu. If you are using an optional 'P' or 'H' series Smart Array controller that uses the 'hpsa' driver the raid should function fine.   When you look at drive information in the  OS do you see one HP logical volume, or multiple drives? If multiple drives there is no RAID for the OS

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
manisman
Occasional Visitor

I'm also setting-up a HP Proliant ML10 Gen9, am seemingly able to install Ubuntu Server 16.04, but when it comes time to boot, it simply crashes, cutting of the display dignal.

am able to boot into recovery.

I'm a bit new to this all, would you please specify what it means to "change it from RAID mode to SATA AHCI mode", or how exactly to do this? Is this a BIOS setting? I have the BIOS configed in legacy mode with AHCI set as the HD format. I've seen posts about accessing a menu through F9, but I'm not seeing that option at any point.

Thanks!

AlexDBall
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

When you say it crashes and cuts of the display, does the server restart or does the display simply go black?

I have noticed a similiar issue on some 16.04 installations where the server would boot but the display would go blank at the login prompt.

Let the server boot up and when the screen goes black, press CTRL+ALT+F1 (also try to alternate between F1 and F2).

If the display comes up, then there is something you must change in the grub config (Sorry i don't rememeber now but a google search should lead you to the solution).

Regards,

Alex

manisman
Occasional Visitor

Hi @AlexDBall, I was out of town and missed your post. Thank you!

While booting up, the machine seems to cut off signal to the display. So no, the display doesn't go black, it just loses a signal all-together.

None-the-less, I tried entering CTRL+ALT+F1 and CTRL+ALT+F2 but wasn't seeing any response.

I should note that up until this point, I have not had a network connection on the machine.

Thoughts?

Thanks again.

manisman
Occasional Visitor

So after a little more digging, I think that this is a video driver issue. When booting Ubuntu Server from recovery mode, it runs while bypassing certain video drivers. This is what allows it to run as it should.

All in all the machine manages to work, I just need to pull out the keyboard and blindly boot into recovery, and then continue the boot from recovery. Just a bit of a pain.

Might this video driver issue be something that can be addressed through the BIOS?

If it means anything, when begining the Ubuntu Server install, I see the following error that I am able to bypass:

undefined video mode number: 314