1752301 Members
5080 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to add 2gb Dual Rank DIMMS to DL380 G4

John E Fleming

Unable to add 2gb Dual Rank DIMMS to DL380 G4

BIOS 4/26/2006

I have 13 of these servers. I have upgraded many of them to 8gB using 2gB Dual Rank memory with no problems. One server will not boot with the dual rank installed, but will boot with single rank installed. Same BIOS level.

Any ideas??
7 REPLIES 7
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

What is the error? You sure those are the correct RAM for the server? What is the RAM? I have used HP and Axiom RAM only in my Proliants?
John E Fleming

No error. The server does not provide any beep cosed, it does not have network connectivity, and it does not provide any video. As I sadi, I have 13 of these servers. I am using this memory in all of the servers. Just this one does nothing with this memory installed.
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

It looks like dimms memory error. Can you install those dimm in other server?

Regards, Jorge
John E Fleming

These DIMMS work fine in another of the same server. I have taken DIMMS from another server, no luck.

I am going to update the BIOS to the latest and see if the results change.
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi John,

Some basic rules while configuring RAM on DL380 G4.

Populate slots 1 and 2, Bank A first.
Install DIMMs with the same speed.

If online spare is configured, the ROM automatically configures the last populated bank as the spare memory. If only banks A and B are populated, bank B is the spare bank. Online spare memory is configured through RBSU.

Check the Memory configuration here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12028_div/12028_div.html#Memory

Thanks

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

David Orwig
Regular Advisor

I just took two servers that had been running fine that are configured as you moving towards, rebooted them and turned them into BRICKS! I removed the 2 rank memory and they work fine. No BIOS upgrade or PSP update had been performed. Just reboot and DEAD.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Did you use the correct recommended RAM? You might need a firmware upgrade to increase RAM.