4496 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrade DL360 G6

davemll
Occasional Visitor

Upgrade DL360 G6

hello I have a "stock" dl360 G6

My first processor is the E5530 2,40 ghz and i want to install a second one X5670 2,93G, my question is if i can have both, eventhough one is an E and the other one is an X, and also if it cares about the model, i mean, both ofthem have to be 5530 or its ok if they are different.

thank you

3 REPLIES 3
mo3ph8us
Advisor

Hi Davemll,

regarding the User Manual HP recommended to install the same cpu´s in all slots

†All processors in this HP ProLiant server must have the same cache size, speed, number of cores, and rated maximum

power consumption.

Greetings

Marcus

For a better Understanding ....
David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

As mo3ph8us previously noted, HP only supports having the same processor installed in each slot.

You could replace the primary processor with something different (i.e. the X5670) if you wanted to upgrade the system beyond what you can do with adding a second E5530. (i.e. you could potentially upgrade to dual X5670 processors)

Just make sure that before you swap processors that you make sure your firmware is up to date - since the X5670 is a newer processor than the E5530, if you don't update the firmware first, the system may be non-operational or unstable if you choose to update the primary processor.

Lastly, make sure you're using HP processor kits with appropriate HP cooling fans & heatsinks. The processor kits supported with the DL360 G6 can be found in the "Core Options" section of the HP Quickspecs:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13235_na/13235_na.HTML#Core%20Options
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.
Alireza  Babri
Frequent Advisor

Dear Friend,

Please check out intel website for this issue. CPU steppings must be same in intel spec finder website. thus you cannot have them in a same server.

Regrads,

Alireza Babri

@David_Schwartzs wrote:
As mo3ph8us previously noted, HP only supports having the same processor installed in each slot.

You could replace the primary processor with something different (i.e. the X5670) if you wanted to upgrade the system beyond what you can do with adding a second E5530. (i.e. you could potentially upgrade to dual X5670 processors)

Just make sure that before you swap processors that you make sure your firmware is up to date - since the X5670 is a newer processor than the E5530, if you don't update the firmware first, the system may be non-operational or unstable if you choose to update the primary processor.

Lastly, make sure you're using HP processor kits with appropriate HP cooling fans & heatsinks. The processor kits supported with the DL360 G6 can be found in the "Core Options" section of the HP Quickspecs:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13235_na/13235_na.HTML#Core%20Options