ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752565 Members
5438 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrading CPUs on a DL380Gen9 server.

AndreaValori
Occasional Advisor

Upgrading CPUs on a DL380Gen9 server.

Hi all, I need to upgrade a DL380Gen9 server CPUs from a E5-2620v3 (85W) to a E5-2680v3 (120W). In the package I receive for the new CPU there is an heatsink for the model E5-2698v3 (#780760-001): this is higher than the heatsink mounted now (#762445-001) and doesn't fit in the chassis with the plastic baffle mounted (#741915-001) so I've some options:

1. remove the old CPU and heatsink, remove the plastic baffle and mount the new CPU with the new heatsink without the baffle;

2. remove the old CPU and mount the new one with the old heatsink and baffle (the solution I prefer).

Wich one is correct? In the quick specs of the server I find "NOTE:All processors above 120W use a high efficiency Heatsink" and "Processors consuming over 120w ship with a High Performance heatsink as standard" so I think that the E5-2680v3 can fit with the old heatsink (the standard type, I suppose)... Please reply only if experienced on it, I don't want to damage server/cpu due to an error in thermal management.

Thanks in advance, Andrea Valori.

8 REPLIES 8
KK
HPE Pro

Hi Andera,

With the original configuration with E5-2620v3 (85W), it uses the standard heatsink whereas with the upgraded CPU E5-2680v3 (120W), it comes with high performance heatsink and it is taller/higher than the standard heatsink.

The original air baffle with standard heatsink has the air diverters and it will lay on the low height standard heatsink.

To use the air baffle with the higher heatsink, the air diverters need to be removed. The air diverters are removable with an ease.

When we open the server hood, please remove the air baffle.

On the air baffle, we can notice air flow direction showing the processor position. One can see a blue coloured notch just behind the arrows. The notch should be pushed down and pull the air diverters and now the air baffle becomes higher heatsink ready.

Please see the image below.

Air Baffle.JPG

Hope this helps you to have the server with E5-2680v3 (120W) and higher heatsinks.

Regards,

KK

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
AndreaValori
Occasional Advisor

Hi KK, thanks for your reply. Whenever I can I verify if my plastic baffle has the removable slides so new heatsink fits under it. By the way, where I can find a document (if any) that specify CPU models supported by a specific BIOS version? I have currently installed the P89 (yes, I know, it's quite old but my idea is "don't touch anything if it works gracefully) and I would know if I need to upgrade BIOS to ensure E5-2680v3 support.

Thanks again for your support, Andrea.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

P89 is the what is know as the ROM family or ROM ID, it is not a version number. The System ROM for the DL380 Gen9 will always be in the P89 family, the version and date shown will change between releases. Most changes including when a ROM update is required for additional CPU model support will be listed under the Enhancements, Release Notes, or Revision History tab on the ROM download page

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This is the current BIOS version:

2.76 from 10-21-2019

https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_39694017333d43a9b80d1f7ad1#tab-history

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
AndreaValori
Occasional Advisor

Mmmhhh... OK, my know-how on HP servers need a robust update So the release date is 11/10/2015, the System BIOS version is 1.52. I'll read docs in ROM pages. Thanks for your support.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Just update the BIOS and you are up to date.

For safety, there is a second location that stores the BIOS for fallback. So there is not really a risk in updating the BIOS.

IMHO the risk is to stay with old versions ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

KK
HPE Pro

Hi Andrea,

In addition to system BIOS, we recommend to update the iLO, Smart Array Controller, NIC, add on cards like NIC, FC HBA firmware to be running at latest version.

All the system firmware can be upgraded by using HPE SPP (Service Pack for ProLiant). The latest SPP contains all the latest system BIOS and all other server component firmware, drivers for supported OS and HPE management applications.

The SPP can be downloaded from https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx.

Regards,

KK

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

For Gen9 you need this SPP:

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx?version=2019.12.0

(this page is now a bit confusing).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.