1753512 Members
5314 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

what is Over Provisionig Optimization?

jylee1
Occasional Visitor

what is Over Provisionig Optimization?

There are twe option when creating the first logical drive in an array on DL360 g10; "Perform Over Provisionig Optimization" and "Do not perform Over Provisioning Optimization'.

What happens when I select "Perform OPO" and when I select "Do not perform OPO" ?

Would you let me know the difference Over Provisioning of SSD between Over Provisioning Optimization?

7 REPLIES 7
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: what is Over Provisionig Optimization?

Hello,

Good Day!!!

"Perform SSD Over Provisioning Optimization on the Array"

HP Defines This feature as:

"SSD Over Provisioning Optimization - Is a new feature that optimizes Solid State Devices by deallocating all used blocks before any data is written to the drive. The optimization process is performed when the first logical drive in an array is created, and when a physical drive is used to replace a failed drive. Not all controllers support this option."

Follow the below documents for more clarification.

HPE Smart Storage Administrator тАУ Overview

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04455150

HPE Smart Array SR Gen10 Configuration Guide

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00018944en_us

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link.]

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

jylee1
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your kind response. 

I understand the Over Provisioning as a feature that provides additional capacity specifically for data to be erased
from an SSD. But i i didn't fully understand OPO by HP defines and the below documents

I want to know how the feature OPO related to OP of SSD and how does OPO work for OP of SSD?

Dominix_
Advisor

Hi everyone,

I have the same expectation as Jylee1, I don't figure out what this feature really does.

can someone explain at which level do this feature operate ? or what it does ?

thanks in advance.

pwil

In addition to their many advantages, NAND dice have some limitations - there is a limited number of write cycles and you cannot just write any cell - you have to clean the entire page containing many cells. Therefore, SSDs have their own internal filesystem which bypasses the limitations.

SSDs are most efficient when empty.

SSDs are most efficient when they have unused cells available that can be used immediately and quickly. For this reason, TRIM / UNMAP is used to inform the SSD controller in which blocks there is no longer needed data, so that it can use these blocks for its own purposes. When we have an SSD in some undefined state, it may happen that someone previously saved a significant part of the cells with irrelevant data, and the SSD will keep their contents unnecessarily.

Therefore, this optimization when creating new volumes tells the SSD controller that all sectors are to be wiped and starts with a blank card. The SSD media works like new then.

praveenmna
Regular Visitor

How can I update SSD overprovision using Redfish api?

I have ILO firmware 2.81 . Unable to find respective redfish api parameter to update or view this.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @praveenmna,

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo