6231 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Windows 2016 on DL380 g8

alkro
Visitor

Windows 2016 on DL380 g8

Hello,

I am trying to install Windows server 2016 Datacenter on HP Proliand DL380 G8 and all the time getting error message "Stop code: NMI hardware failure". Firmware, Intelligent Provisionning is up to date. I was able to install windows 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter, but no 2016.

Any thoughts appreciated....

10 REPLIES 10
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please update the BIOS to the latest, it has some fixes as follows (assuming your server is DL380p Gen8): "Addressed an issue where a device interrupt may not be handled properly and result in a lost interrupt or an uncorrectable machine check exception. This issue is NOT unique to HP servers. HP recommends that users experiencing these issues update to this revision of the System ROM before replacing any hardware components."

Also see the following docs:
Implementing Microsoft Windows Server 2016 using HPE ProLiant Servers, Storage, and Options.
System Requirements.

Thank You!

I am a HPE employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

alkro
Visitor

Thank you for your reply.

The server has the latest BIOS (P70 07/01/2015) and firmware. BIOS don't support UEFI.

Alex

AleksandraIsa
HPE Pro

Hi @alkro

you mentioned that the IP is latest, could please double check if it's  1.70 0r 1.64 (win 2016 is added firstly in 1.64) ?

Have you tried to make unassisted installation (without IP) and inject the storage controller driver during the installation?

I am an HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

alkro
Visitor

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. SPP is from July 2017 was applied. Again all firmware is the latest one. But any way, my manager don't have time to wait and I installed on this machine Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter. With this one it wasn't any problem.

Again thank you for your reply!

Alex

AleksandraIsa
HPE Pro

@alkro

Please note that the IP doesn't get updated with the SPP. It has stand alone recovery media and this is the only way to update it in Gen8 and gen9. So maybe the IP was earlier version without Win2016 support. you may see it only when you're in the IP and click the information button.

I am an HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

alkro
Visitor

Sorry. My mistake. You talking about Intelligent Provisionning. Yes it was upgraded to the latest release. I am not in the office right now, so I don't know exact version, but is definetly 1.7* something.

alkro
Visitor

I forgot to mention that the server model is DL380p G8. May be because it was dedicated as a storage this is why is not working

EDVDVD
Visitor

We had the exact same problem with Server 2016 on our Gen 8 servers.

The problem is the Matrox driver in the Proliant Support Pack, I you use an older version of the Matrox driver the BSOD does not happen anymore. For us all versions before july 2017 worked stable,

JohnHPE
Visitor

I have the same problem, spp-2018.03, BIOS 2018.1.22 :-( DL380p Gen8, Windows Server 2016 

Uncorrectable PCI Express Error (Embedded device, Bus 0, Device 28, Function 7, Error status 0x00100000)

Unrecoverable System Error (NMI) has occurred.  System Firmware will log additional details in a separate IML entry if possible.

A can survive without VGA driver, but this should be solved.