1752565 Members
5419 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: windows server 2012, 2016 - Hardware

Adejumo
Occasional Visitor

windows server 2012, 2016 - Hardware

I have a HP proliant ML 350 and it cant find an operating system even though thereis a valid operting sytem on the USB i connected to it.

I have tried everything i know but to avail.
I tried changing the boot order and put the usb first, that didnt work either.

What else can i try ? - i noticed a few things while looking at the BIOS, the time is not correct - Could this be that i have to change the CMOS battery ?

Hard driver ?

Thanks so much in advance for commenting on this

Adejumo

7 REPLIES 7
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

What generation ML350, USB boot was not always supported.  Is this a USB hard drive, a USB flash drive?  How do you know it is a valid bootable OS?  Would be helpful to provide more information to help others triage your issue

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
System_Headache
Advisor

Hello Adejumo,

1. If you notice that in the BIOS your changes are not kept/saved and it resets to default values... change the CMOS Battery
  2. Get your original *.ISO file and use the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool
    1. This option works on DVD 8.4GB or USB 8GB
    2. You will need that space because Win2016 is much bigger than all previous OS's
  3. At your POST loader screen, I believe pressing F7 will allow you to choose which area you want to boot

Because initially your USB did not boot, we "The Olders Of The Internet" (joke), that your OS on that USB isn't done properly or got corrupted.

Adejumo
Occasional Visitor

Thanks  for the  reply. Really appreciate it. 

I know for sure that the USB is not corrupt in any way, i have  used the same installation process on another server and that worked Well.

It appears  no matter what media you use, the machine just keep coming up with the ("attepting to boot from hardrive, USB etc"  Error )  and keep looping through this.

I have  also picked some messages during the booting process -   Array battery accelerator is low, battery falied to charger and should be replaced.

I am not sure if this will have  any impact on whether the machines sees the OS image or not

What do you think  

Regards  

Adejumo
Occasional Visitor

Here is the screenshot of the message  i was talking about before  

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Viewing the image I see this system has iLO2 which makes it a very old system. As I commented above it may not support booting from a USB device.  

Adejumo
Occasional Visitor

Hi  Jimmy 

Does this mean that  i have  to throw the system away,  is there any other way i can put an operating system on it since its so old that  USB wont do the  trick  ? 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

USB boot may work, I really don't recall when the ProLiant server started supporting it. You may look at this thread and verify legacy USB is enabled

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML350-G5-Boot-from-USB-issues/td-p/5699657