New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3TB Drive MicroServer Gen8

SOLVED
Go to solution
JimiT
Respected Contributor

3TB Drive MicroServer Gen8

Hi,

I've recently replaced faulty 1TB system drive with 3TB drive. I used the SSA tool to delete the logical drive and re-create it.  Then used the provisioning tool to install and customize the system partition size (1TB).

After the OS successfully installed, Applied Windows Patches and April 2017 SUM.

Reboot

So I still can't access all the partitions on the disk, I can't seem to select anything which is over 2TB. I can only format the second partition (1TB) and the thrid partition all the options are greyed out???

Why?

I simply want System boot partition of 1TB and a second partition 2TB.

I've attached a coupe of screenshots of SSA and Disk Manager,.. Doesnlt make sense.

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. Don't forget to Kudo!!
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor

JimiT
Respected Contributor

@TTr wrote:

This might help

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx

no it doesn't help,... i can't convert the boot disk to a gpt or dynamic disk, all options are greyed out.

how do i re-install and ensure the disk is gpt before the install starts?

does it mean in the provisioning tool i need to check the "manual" option as i don't recall having the option in the "customize" options to specify the gpt anywhere, all there was is a slider bar to adjust the size of the system partition and here i slid to 1TB

Capture-03.JPG

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. Don't forget to Kudo!!
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Your hitting the MBR 2TB limit.  This article may help https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2581408/windows-support-for-hard-disks-that-are-larger-than-2-tb

Overall requirements for a bootable system volume

Assume that you want to meet the following conditions:

• Have a storage device on which you can install Windows.
  • Make the storage device bootable.
  • Enable the operating system to address a maximum storage capacity for that device of greater than 2 TB.

To meet these conditions, the following prerequisites apply:

• The disk must be initialized by using GPT.
  • The system firmware must use UEFI.

The MicroServer Gen8 is a BIOS based system.  You can have a drive larger than 2TB, but it cannot be the boot drive

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JimiT
Respected Contributor
Solution

Ok Since I use 3 other disks (all 2TB) in a drivebender pool, I've now removed one of the 2TB drives from the pool, I'll swap the 2TB with the 3TB drive, remove and re-create logical drive 1 and 2 using HP SSA. I'll then install Windows OS to the 2TB drive in logical drive 1..

bobs your uncle ;)

Thanks you very much!

Jim