ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753500 Members
4424 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: can i migrate from raid 1+0 to raid 5

Thomas Eisen

can i migrate from raid 1+0 to raid 5

I have a DL380 G4 with 4 73 Gb HD and 2 are set up in array A raid 1+0. I want to move up to raid 5 with all 4 drives in the array.

Q. can this be done with no data lost?

If so what steps are needed?
2 REPLIES 2
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Thomas,

yes a 4 disk raid0/1 can be migrated to a 4 disk raid5. You will end up with unused space also when the migration is done since the redundancy level is lower and more user space is available then the maximum logical drive size you could create with your 4 disk raid0/1.

4 * disk in raid 0/1 = 2 * disk capacity left for user data

4 * disk in raid5 = 3 * disk capacity left

So you'll have about 73 Gbytes unused space which can be used as a new (second) logical drive or you could extend the original logical drive also.

So migration is possible, no data is lost. Unless you don't have a BBWC module which might limit some features but check by selecting the array in the ACU and on the right side you can then extend/migrate the array and choose the redundancy level (i.e. raid 5)

HTH

Kris
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

sorry misread the post,

you have now 2 * disk in raid 0/1 and have 2 additional (unused ?) disks.

Answer is still yes, just add the 2 disks to the array and migrate from 2 disk raid0/1 to 4 disk raid5 via the ACU.

This can be done online (assuming WIndows OS) but will take a performance hit on the disk i/o of course and it will take some time to complete, best run this on a weekend or overnight.

HTH

Kris