ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753787 Members
7177 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Compaq Proliant ML350 - G1 reboots itself

Andreas Beldowski

Compaq Proliant ML350 - G1 reboots itself

In devoured ways, an old Compaq Proliant ML350 found the way to me. It is too precious to me, to throw him away.
Problem:
Sometimes, he still starts an operating system (from floppy, CD or HD), but if he becomes warmer he sticks at different places in the BIOS.
It must be a generation 1 server, produced before the uniting of Compaq and HP. The series-number is "ML350T01 P600-256 9G GR - 8013CQH41042", the board has the spare No 163357-001. Meanwhile, I have replaced the board, that problem remains.
The power supply has been definitely defective, I got a used spare part.
As processors, I have 3x "P III 800/256/133/1,65V S1 SL3XQ", passivly cooled (yes, i already repaced them in circle!).
From the VRM-Modulen (for 600 - 1000MHz), i also have 3 (yes, i already replaced them in circle!).
As storage, it is only 1x "SDRAM 256 MB PC133 Reg". from Samsung and with HP-sticker on it.
The only part I not yet replaced is the "Server feature board", spare part 163355-001!
Meanwhile, I cut off the green cable of the power supply (pin 14, PS_ON). The cable of the power supply lies on earth, the cable of the board hangs at an logik tester with 2 light-diodes (i got problems let it hang empty).
Result:
I could start the „HP Smart start CD Rev 5.5" and install the hidden partition, as well as a Debian Linux. Also a BIOS Up-date for a D02/F02 system of the date 09/26/2000 on 05/30/2003 was possible.
hpimlview tells me sometimes:
System Overheating (Zone 2, Location CPU, Temperature xxC)
System Overheating (Zone 3, Location CPU, Temperature xxC)
Automatic Operating System Shutdown Initiated Due to O-verheat Condition
The control of the themperatur delivers the impression, that the themperaturen usually lie by 40°C and sometimes jumps over the border of 75°C. That is not believable.
Who has a solution-idea for me?
Some more Questions:
Does the "processor Option Kit" of HP / Compaq contain more than the CPU? For example, a bridge for the fan-plug beside the CPU's?
Must I alter something in the BIOS ore some Dip switches on board or "servers feature board“? For example,. because now i have 800MHz -, instead of the original 600MHZ-CPU's in there?
Are there Problems with the evaluation of the THERMTRIP#-Signals of the CPU?
1 REPLY 1
Alan Mason
Advisor

Re: Compaq Proliant ML350 - G1 reboots itself

Did you get a resolutions to this? I have a similar problem. Whenever I add a second processor to my ML350 G1, I get the error System Overheating (Zone 3, Location CPU, Temperature xxC) and the system shuts down. There appears to be only one fan and it seems to be working OK.