ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1751975 Members
5260 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 Fan terribly noisy

Tribelhorn

DL360 Fan terribly noisy

A ProLiant DL360 G3 server runs Win2000 and has terribly loud fan noise at a constant level. What software is needed to control the fan speed ?
Thanks for any suggestions.
10 REPLIES 10
CA1076661
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Do you have proliant support pack installed in the server. is your server installed using smartstart CD
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Check the System BIOS. There was an issue with the early initial BIOS of the DL360G3 that I had brought th HP's attention as I was rolling out hundreds of them for a large and highly visible customer.

The new bios should have the necessary code to kick the fans down after POST.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

For ease of location...

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_4764.html#4
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

There is a work around too if you can not easily update the bios due to limitation and/or restrictions on changing the current "supported" system configuration at your location. i know some companies have strict policy on changing BIOS levels and drivers without properly testing them first.

Either way, the workaround is in the revisio history... look here http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/7248.html towards the bottom, around early 2003.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Tribelhorn Ueli

Thanks, this all sounds very good.

I didn't setup the machine so I'm not sure if either the support pack or smartstart package is installed. How can I see?

I've never done a BIOS upgrade. Whould you advice me to upgrade to the newest version available or just to the version fixing the fan speed item?
This machine is in a production environment and therefor I must be sure to stay on the safe side. How risky is it to upgrade the BIOS? Can I backup the actual version?
Tribelhorn Ueli

I've not done any of your advices but I'd like to rate them anyway. I can't see any chanche to rate, just see 'unassigned' next to the time stamp even after login. What do I have to do?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

To check your SSD or PSP versions, go the the servers Management homepage. You can easily get to it at http://127.0.0.1:2381 or http://localhost:2381 , usually. Just put that address into your Web browser. You may be asked to login. The default's might be Administrator/administrator or Administrator/password, but it could be different especially if it was set during setup. Usually, you can see the version right on the first page if the management agents were installed. Also, if you can restart the management agents, you can usually see the version in the event log entries that they generate.
We can discuss how you can reset it later if necessary.

"I've never done a BIOS upgrade. Whould you advice me to upgrade to the newest version available or just to the version fixing the fan speed item?"
My suggestion is the latest available. Usually, you can not even get older revisions, only 1 or 2 previous to the current. Most of the time your better off with the latest as it fixes various things and enhances your servers capabilities.

"This machine is in a production environment and therefor I must be sure to stay on the safe side. How risky is it to upgrade the BIOS?"
The online flash is relatively safe. I have never run into a situation where the flash program messed up a server and I have upgraded many servers in the past 5 years.

"Can I backup the actual version?"
If you use the online flash, no. If you use the offline rompaq, then I believe there is an option to save the current file.

As for the points... when you log in with your account and browse to this message, you should see little drop down boxes next to the posters names where you specify points. If not there, then I am unsure what you can do.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You can check the BIOS level too just by running the online flash. It does not install immediately, but rather tells you your current version, lets you know if you can use the upgrade and then gives you the option to run the upgrade.

Otherways to see current version are:

Reboot and watch the boot process. The first thing that pops up usually is the BIOS date.
The System Board Management page found in the Management Agents Web Interface
Insight Manager would probably tell you as well.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Tribelhorn

Thanks, Steven, this is good to know. I do not have remote access to the machine so I will check these things the next time I visit this customer.

Here's another question:
The ProLiant Support Package consists of about 50 Exe's. Do I need to install all of them or is there a particular one which controls the fan speed? Is the SmartStart Package required too? Can it be installed the same way as SPS?