1753928 Members
8856 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

DL360 Imbedded NIC Slowdown

CA1058336
Valued Contributor

DL360 Imbedded NIC Slowdown

We have an HP ProLiant DL360 with an integrated NC7781 Gigabit Server Adapter dual-NIC, running Win2K Server. A week ago the NIC started intermittently losing the network signal as if the cable had been unplugged (there is only one network cable attached, at 100Mbps). We feel we have eliminated the cable and/or anything upstream. Yesterday I upgraded the NIC driver to HP version 7.80.0.0, dated 6/19/04. Since then, the NIC has not failed, but I estimate that throughput has been consistently degraded by about 20%.

This server backs up other servers on the LAN via its attached tape library. I am estimating the amount of degradation in network throughput by observing both the realtime data streaming rate to tape (in Veritas Backup Exec 8.60) and the overall increase in time for the backup jobs. It isn't an issue with the tape library because I get the same reduced throughput when conducting a backup-to-disk, where the data source is on the LAN.

Has anybody run into this one. All help is appreciated.
Bill Watterson (creator of Calvin and Hobbes): "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."