4788 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Exos 6TB 4kn HDD with Proliant Microserver Gen10 does not boot

JurgenBereuter
Established Member

Exos 6TB 4kn HDD with Proliant Microserver Gen10 does not boot

Hello,
i bought two Microserver Gen10 to build a backup server, i installed OmniOSce (like openindiana) to use zfs and bareos. For installation, i had to disable uefi and change to legay boot (and i have to disable acpi on the OS). Now, i tried to install new harddisks besides the Samsung SSD in the front bay: Seagate Exos 6TB with 4Kn. I know, the specs say, only 4x4 TB.  So, could that be the problem (server does not boot, or very, very slow and there are no sata disks in BIOS nor OS)? Nowadays such a limitation? 

When i boot in uefi-shell and type RAID, thats for configuring the hardware-raid, i see the disks (i had to hotplug them in, after the uefi boot process). Does someone knows, if there is a compatible hba-card (for using greater than 4TB disks) to use with this server and OS?

Thanks for any advice or information about my problem. jub

1 REPLY 1
JurgenBereuter
Established Member

Re: Exos 6TB 4kn HDD with Proliant Microserver Gen10 does not boot

it looks like, that the Marvell chip is the Übeltäter. I tried one drive on the internal SATA port and it was recognized and i was able to select it as a boot drive. So, i think, my only two options are using another server  or installing a hba controller card. Can someone recommend such a card?

Update:
i get a phone call by hpe (it was a nice talk, in german btw) and received an email. He mentioned, that i should try hp branded disks, because hereby hp can guarantee a working and compatible device (although he said, there is no reason, why others should not work).  And the quick specs say, that there are only 4x 4TB disks possible. I will try a hba card.