1752794 Members
6137 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hi

BR865337

Hi

I am hoping somebody can help me. I have a BL20P G3 Blade server cluster. However I would like to know the correct process & drivers for connecting these 2 servers to a DRM HSG80 storage infrastructure HAF/500 SAN infrastructure. I have a problem installing the FC fabric software with Qlogic HBA version 8.2.0.73. When I try to install it, it fails to load, however I have no issue on another BL20P G2 cluster pair, the software loads fine. Whats different on the G3. I have been told not to use the 9.0.0.13 as this is for the EVA not HSG80, is this right??
7 REPLIES 7
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi William,

what OS are you using? I would assume Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. I have recently seen another thread where someone had problems installing drivers for a Qlogic-Based HBA. However I don't know whether this has been resolved.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=857372
What version of platform kit are you installing? Are you installing the drivers while the FC cables are connected?

You are correct about the driver versions. The newest ones are only for the EVA.

Regards,
Stephen
BR865337

Hi Stephen

Thanks for the prompt reply. You assume correctly, i am using windows 2003 enterprise. The HSG80's are running on 8.7P-0 and the platform kit is the recently released 8.7B kit which support the Q Logic drivers 8.2.0.73. This is what i'm trying to install the FC Software from. Without the installation of the FC Software, the HBA's still show on the switch as an F-Port but it looks like loads of data is being dropped, which can't be right. Yes the cables are in and I can see the 3 disks sets on the server. So somethings working but i'm not sure how...
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi William,

the 8.7B platform kit is not all that recent. 8.8 has just come out. But I don't think that would have any influence on your problem.
What do mean by lots of data being dropped? How does that manifest itself?
How is your switch zoning setup? Each cluster must have its own zone.
Have you tried manually updating the drivers from Device Manager?

You have a slightly older ACS version. 8.7-0 cannot be patched, you need to upgrade the PCMCIA cards to ACS 8.7P-1 before you can patch (or else go straight to 8.8P). But I'm not sure if that's related to your problem, either.
Have you got SecurePath 4.0C SP1 installed?

Stephen
BR865337

Hi Stephen

I stand corrected on the ACS version.

On the fibre switches that the HBA's are connected to there is a line called "loss of sync", the figure there is 10066065. Now to me that sounds a lot, but not really understanding what that means I shall leave that to yourself to tell me. Again you have hit the nail on the head, I have no zoning at the moment, but have just finished the zoning config and I am going to be applying that this weekend if all goes well. I have updated the drivers manually from device manager to 8.2.0.73 which is fine but if i use qlscsiportver.exe and view the middle tab qlogicscsiport it shows version 9.0.0.13. I have the 8.7P-1 cards ready to be changed but outages have not been allowed as its our main e-commerce san. I have securepath 4.0C SP1 installed..
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi William,

OK, the loss of sync could have something to do with a dodgy cable. Have you investigated that? Do the other HBA ports show similar statistics?
What switches have you got? For 2Gbit switches, check if your switch ports are set to autonegotiate. A switchshow command will report them as N1 or N2. If you have not already done so, set the speeds manually (HBAs to 2G, the HSG80 ports to 1G). If you have 1GB switches this will not apply.

Stephen
BR865337

Stephen

That was my original thinking, but since the loss of sync errors are happening on 4 diffent switches each port having it own cable so I'm not sure. However I have got an external fibre testing company coming to evaluate the fibre infrastructure just in case. The only two servers showing these drops are the BL20PG3's which have no FC software on. The switches are San switch 2/16 compaq part no 287055-b21. I have already set all 4 ports for the BL20PG3's to 2GB instead of auto-negotiate and it hasnt made any difference.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi William,

well if it happens for all 4 ports, then it's probably not the cables. Have you got the latest HBA firmware? Have you tried deleting the devices from device manager and reinstalling them using HP's drivers? Try installing the drivers with the cables disconnected. If all else fails, log a support call with HP.

Regards,
Stephen