3509 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to change disk in RAID HP ProLiant Microserver Gen10

AndyDK
Occasional Advisor

How to change disk in RAID HP ProLiant Microserver Gen10

Hi all,

I've got a Microserver Gen10 that should rund RAID1 with two WD RED 1TB disks. I found a guide how to setup RAID1 with HP Smart Storage Administrator. But how if it should be nessecary do i replace a new disk if one of the disk's fails? And what about Windows? Should i install Windows on both disk's or does Smart Storage Administrator choose a master and a slave disk? 

Looking forward to hear from you!

6 REPLIES 6
krasinka1409
HPE Pro

If you are using the standart integrated controller of the server, you will not be able to set RAID using the Smart Storage Administrator. The needed tool is "Marvel Storage utility" : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00022850en_us

RAID actually means that both drives are working in a redundant array, so the Windows will be installed on that array. If one of the drives fails, you can simply replace it and the information will be overwriten. 

Thank you
I am an HPE Employee
AndyDK
Occasional Advisor

I want to use the standard software that is delivered with the server. (Can't remember the name) 

So if one of the disk's fails (I think it tells me if one of the disks fails?) I just simply replace it with a new formatted one, and its do everything self, i should't do anything to get it up and running again? 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

There is no standard software delivered with the MicroServer Gen10 for using the embedded chipset Marvel SATA controller software RAID function. Have you installed an optional Smart Array Controller?  HPE SSA doen't work with the embedded Marvel controller in teh Gen10 MicroServer

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
AndyDK
Occasional Advisor

Okay, let me explain on a another way... :-) 

If i want to run RAID1 on a brand new Gen10 what should i then do? I did find this guide on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy_QoFgPNJw&t=576s

And he is using HP Smart Storage Administrator. If i should install that before i can use it, i should install it from a USB stick to the server? Because before i install OS the disks should be set in RAID1 right? 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

THe video is for a MicroServer Gen8 which had a different software based RAID controller.   I tend to avoid the software based RAID controllers in general as they usually require a proprietary driver as the RAID function is controlled by the driver and not the controller itself.  In the case of the Gen 10 Microserver the chipset uses a Marvell controller and requires a specific driver which can be downloaded from the HPE support site. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
AndyDK
Occasional Advisor

Okay,

Could you link to a guide that show me how to do that, and should i install OS on it first, and then download the driver, or should i download the driver and put it on a USB then boot it up?