1748180 Members
4006 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

how to install a second processor to Proliant ML350 G4p

jonathan almanzar
Occasional Contributor

how to install a second processor to Proliant ML350 G4p

I tried to install a second P4 Xeon 3.2GHZ processor(the same type that is instaled), but the server dosen´t start up, the health LED, got red, and inside the ¨cpu2 error¨ led turn orange and blinking, the ¨PPM 2¨ LED turn orange. what I´m not doing or what I have to do?
3 REPLIES 3
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Re: how to install a second processor to Proliant ML350 G4p

Did you try reseating the processor and PPM, and check for bent pins?

Confirm that the server still works properly with only the original CPU and PPM.

Replace the original CPU and PPM with the new CPU and PPM in the original sockets. If the new CPU and PPM don't work, attempt to mix new and original until you isolate the faulty component.
jonathan almanzar
Occasional Contributor

What is the PPM?, I have two Proliant ml350 server and I get the processor from one server to install in another one, so I don´t have another PPM, so the question is ¿I need something else, out the other processor and the headstick? and ¿what is that I need?, thanks for your fast reply
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

A PPM (Processor Power Module) is sometimes referred to as a VRM (Voltage Regulator Module), and you will need one PPM/VRM per processor.

Shut down the server that you removed the processor, and remove the PPM/VRM. Shut down the problem server, and install the matching PPM/VRM to go with the newly inserted processor.