ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1748252 Members
4217 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to install Centos 7.0 with RAID 1 on Proliant Microserver Gen8 with Bi20i

Trismegistul

How to install Centos 7.0 with RAID 1 on Proliant Microserver Gen8 with Bi20i

I have a Proliant Microserver Gen8 with Bi20i. I tried to install centos 7.0.x86_64 with RAID 1. Failed!  CentOS 7 is HP certified. It must go with raid (B120i).

I've kmod-hpvsa-1.2.10-120.rhel7u0.x86_64.rpm and hpvsa-1.2.10-120.rhel7u0.x86_64.dd drivers.

I tried this steps to use the RHEL 7.7 driver for Centos 7.0 install:

1. Download CentOS 7.0 Software Driver Update and extract it...

2. Copy hpvsa-1.2.10-120.rhel7u0.x86_64.dd  to a USB Key formatted as FAT32.

3. Once the floppy driver diskette ready on the USB Key and the Array is being created, is time to begin the CentOS 7.0 installation by booting from the DVD.

4. On the main installation menu for CentOS, mount the USB Key with the driver on it, either through iLO or plug it to the server. At the installation menu, select the installation method (just highlight it) and hit “ESC” key to receive the "boot:" prompt.

5. At that "boot" prompt enter the following command: linux dd blacklist=ahci

6. Hit ENTER Select Yes for driver diskette, Select the USB drive.

7. Select the driver disk image and select OK.

8. Continue the OS installation, then just click select the logical volume where to install the CentOS 7.0.

9. Note: I did not ILO

When I give "linux dd blacklist=ahci" command after select usbstick (with hpvsa)  I receives "no iso image" message.

I tried "modprobe.blacklist=ahci inst.dd" (not work) I tried "linux modprobe.blacklist=ahci inst.dd" It works this command but i receive the same error... "no iso image"

Please help me. I need CentOS with server RAID (with B120i). I don't have a dedicate other RAID card.

I've also CentOS 6.6 but I don't found driver for this. hpvsa-1.2.4-4.rhel6u3.x86_64.dd doesn't work for CentOS 6.6. I tried but boesn't work.

Ubuntu 14.04.x is also HP certified, but in SATA AHCI mod. Ubuntu doesn't work in RAID mod with B120i. I need HP firmware RAID with B120i. I don't have another choice. My only choise is CentOS 7.0 or CentOS6.6. Please help me!

Thanks for your support!

24 REPLIES 24
Keretchashvili

Re: How to install Centos 7.0 with RAID 1 on Proliant Microserver Gen8 with Bi20i

Same problem here on CentOS 7.0 install. I've also tried to create an iso image containing .dd or .rpm  files in it, but doesn't work. Neither works renaming .dd to .iso or .img.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I haven't had a chance to try either RHEL or CentOS 7.0 on the Microserver yet.  You mentioned Ubuntu, I posted where to get the hpvsa driver for Ubuntu in this thread

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/General/Installing-Ubuntu-Server-14-04-LTS-on-HP-Proliant-Microserver/td-p/6696535#.VMLCN7HnaRs

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
SpookyX
Occasional Contributor

I have a ML310e server... but, 

I followed same steps and what I did was to rename the .dd file into .iso as well...

that found the iso file and it seems that it has extracted whatever it needed. no error, I was even able to select the kmod-hpvsa ... rpm from inside the repo inside the ISO image.

Continued, went to Centos 7 installation screen and there I don't see my RAID array, but strange I do see the 2 drives, although in RBSU it is set to RAID mode and not to AHCI... and my RAID Array is properly configured (Raid 1)...

So, how have you guys resolved this issue?

Thanks.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I've tested on both RHEL and CentOS 7.0 using hpvsa-1.2.10-120.rhel7u0.x86_64.dd.gz

download the driver

uncompress the .gz file

rename it from .dd to .iso

copy it to a fat formatted USB key

when you boot the installer add 'modprobe.blacklist=ahci inst.dd' on the boot line.

The above command is new for RHEL7.x, for 6.x it was just 'blacklist=ahci dd'. 

When the installer starts you will be prompted for the device, the file, and the package, for the driver update. When finished you have to select continue. (as hpvsa loads it may drop text on the screen where anaconda is waiting for input so the system may appear hung. If you press enter you get the driver options line refreshed)

In my case I think it was 1, 1, 1, c

When you get into the installer, you will see the HP Logical Volume in the disk selection.

At first I thought I was seeing two disks from the installer, but that was just a first glance mistake. My usb device showed up as sda at 1.90 GB, and the disk volume showed up as sdb at 1.90 TB. Once I smacked myself upside the head and selected the right device the installation continued.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JR99
Occasional Visitor

Driver link
http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5387585&swItemId=MTX_9200a10168684afbbb4efce88a&swEnvOid=4176#tab2

[Admin:Above link is not longer valid]

Download the file :hpvsa-1.2.14-100.rhel7u0.x86_64.dd.gz
Extract the File hpvsa-1.2.14-100.rhel7u0.x86_64.dd
Rename the dd file and add .img at the end.
hpvsa-1.2.14-100.rhel7u0.x86_64.dd.img

Mount the OS iso file using ilo Virtual Drives > Image File – CD-ROM/DVD         --à>>> ( OS ISO )
Mount the above file using ilo Virtual Drives > Image File - Removable Media  --à>>> ( B120i Driver )

F11 - Boot from ILO virtual media OS ISO.

At the Initial Installation Boot screen.

Press the E key to edit the grub entry,

modprobe.blacklist=ahci
Then continue instlallation :

Sebascho

Hello, 

I'm trying to install centos 7 on an external usb device.

In my installation environment, I'm using 3 usb sticks...
1 - /dev/sda . Formatted Fat32 with the driver package
2 - /dev/sdb Formatted ext4 with centos installation image
3 - /dev/sdc not formatted yet - I want to use this to install centos on it with the driver

So, I followed this post (many thank's for this) and copied the .dd image as .iso image to the first usb device. 
Now I'm in the menue from DD to choose the driver, it's almost fine... But when I choose continue with "c" the centos boot to installation and displays the error "cannot read from device on /dev/sda".

I think the server will follow the installation on /dev/sda, but my image for installation, it's on /dev/sdb.

I hope you understand.
Any ideas?

Many thank's to any response!

Sebastian

touliloup
Visitor

Here is how I installed it:

1. Download hpvsa-1.2.10-120.rhel7u0.x86_64.dd.gz (make sure it's the 7u0 for RedHatEntreprise 7.0).
  2. Extract the dd file from the gz archive.
  3. Create the USB drive with the driver with following command:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=4K
    dd if=hpvsa-1.2.12-110.rhel7u0.x86_64.dd of=/dev/sdc bs=4K && sync
  4. Via iLO, set your CentOS install ISO as Virtual Drives "Image File CD&DVD-ROM" (make sure you activate iLO, use a trial key: http://www.cocheno.com/2015/07/hp-ilo-60-day-trial-key/ - also make sure to use Centos 7 version 1406, not 7.1 or 7.2 http://vault.centos.org/7.0.1406/isos/x86_64/ ).
  5. Start Intelligent Provisionning.
  6. Choose "Configure and Install".
  7. Press Continue.
  8. Choose "RedHat Linux", Install method "Manual" and Source Media "Physical DVD (local or ilO virtual media).
  9. Plug the usb key containing the driver to your server.
  10. Press Continue.
  11. Intelligent provisioning while check the installation disk and give a warning about the driver, click ok.
  12. The server will restart and you'll see the centOS installation starting after a while.
  13. Choose "Install CentOS 7" and press tab to edit boot option.
  14. Add 'modprobe.blacklist=ahci inst.dd' and press enter.
  15. Now select the driver when dd prompt for it (there should be only one choice).
  16. When the graphical interface start to come up, remove the USB drive (if not the installer try to install the bootloader on it and fail...).
  17. Continue with the installation as you would do for a standard install.

Some of the thing I did at first and that didn|t work out for me>

- Using the default centos from centos.org, the driver was not matching.
- Trying to use a virtual disk to install the driver.

AnnaBlume
Occasional Visitor

I´m currently trying to install CentOS 7.3 on my Microserver Gen8 using RAID 10. I followed exactly the steps Jimmy suggested but it doesn´t work (extracting the .gz-file with 7-zip on a windows machine, rename to .iso, copy to a FAT32-formatted USB-stick, added the suggested text in the boot line). Looks like there are problems reading the iso-file:

DD: Extracting: kmod-hpvsa

DD: WARNING: DD repo content not a file: /media/DD-2/rpms/x86_64/repodata

Anybody has a clue and can help me out?

touliloup
Visitor

First you should not use the same file, this doesn't fit your need: hpvsa-1.2.10-120.rhel7u0.x86_64.dd.gz

You'll need to download the driver for RedHat 7.3 ( hpvsa-1.2.16-102.rhel7u3.x86_64.dd.gz ).

Then I copied the file with dd on a USB stick. Other method didn't work for me.

Also you could try to install Centos 7.0, it might give you better result as the guide here are mainly for Centos 7.0