1752808 Members
6312 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 6 port SATA RAID

Tim Watts

HP 6 port SATA RAID

Unable to launch Adaptec ACU when pressing CTRL+A AAR-2160SA

I have two WD1TB (WD10EADS) SATA II drives and two WD5000AAKS 500GB drives attached to a ADAPTEC AAR-2160SA SATA Raid Controller card. When pressing CTRL+A to launch the Adaptec Array Configuration Utility. I see the following on screen, but the ACU never loads.

Detected devices at port 0,1

"No int 13 Drives to support"
"BIOS not installed!"

It does display that it has detected two devices at port 0,1 which is correct. But no matter what I do I cannot get the ACU to load to build an array.

I have two of these cards, both are behaving exactly the same. These cards are both installed in IBM x345 servers.

I have tried flashing the card with the latest bios, which flashed without problem. Still no change.

I would appreciate if there is some other way I can invoke the ACU to build my arrays.

UPDATE:
I found the dos version of the ACU for a similar Adaptec card. Loaded the DOS ACU, it does seem to detect the card ok, and when I try to initilize the drives, it warns me that they are not supported. It then shows me the drive model numbers and sizes, so it looks like it can see the drives correctly, but appears they are just not supported.

Any suggestions? I just don't understand why they are not supported drives?

Thanks,

Tim Watts
3 REPLIES 3
bob freeman

Re: HP 6 port SATA RAID

Hello

I was not able to flash this card with latest bios (from HP), but I get it working in xseries 335 with WD5002ABYS RaidEdition.

Where did you get the power connector for the sata drives in the xseries 345?

Let me know, please.

Marek
Tim Watts

Hi Marek,

I used an external SATA drive enclosure to house all of my drives. It provides the power to the drives, and works really well. I used the SANS Digital MS4T enclusure.
http://www.sansdigital.com/mobilestor/ms4t.html

I did end up getting the card to work perfectly well for my scenario.

I had to manage the card using the IBM Raid manager, it was able to see the card and the drives. Once I initialized the drives through the IBM Raid Manager, I was able to build an array with the drives without any difficulty and the CTRL+A works fine now as well from the BIOS.

Lord Pit
Frequent Advisor

I think there is no RAID made so RAID CARD gives you this info

Detected devices at port 0,1

"No int 13 Drives to support"
"BIOS not installed!"

Now about ACU

It possibly could be chipset problem, becouse it's not HP made card for HP servers, ther's propably build in information of spetial option in the CARD ROM that makes conflict.

I wish you luck :)
When you are giving points It's like saying Thank You :-)