4625 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Netserver LC 2000 - Fan LED Flashing

afurman
Occasional Advisor

HP Netserver LC 2000 - Fan LED Flashing

Hello!

Our customer has two almost identical LC 2000 servers installed and running for many years. Lately on one of them started flashing the FAN LED (red, 1Hz).

Top Tools shows Fan Threshold Warning (yellow) and a message: "The Fan Threshold Warning alarm indicates that a fan sensor in the server has gone outside the factory specified range of normal operation. Receipt of this alarm suggests a faulty or failing fan. Contact your HP service representative or authorized dialer".

What we have already done:

1. Changed all fans from the "healthy" server to the "failing" one and vice versa (by themselves and with the fan trays) - nothing changed. The fans from the "failing" server work perfect in the "healthy" server. Supposed to by good fans from the "healthy" server still produce FAN LED flashing in the "failing" one.

2. Changed PSU between the servers - nothing new.

3. Updated BIOS on the "failing" server - it had already run the latest one but we updated it again - nothing changed.

Any suggestions?

PS. Good fans indicate speed in between of 2780-3740 RPM, the failing are 1540-2120 RPM.

5 REPLIES 5
Peter Jam
Frequent Advisor

Perhaps replace the fan sensor?
afurman
Occasional Advisor

Hello!

I see, but is it possible to order sensors as a spare part?

Where you think  are they situated? We changed the FAN trays between the two servers but it did not help.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=D9164A

Peter Jam
Frequent Advisor

afurman,

sorry for some reason this forum does not notify and I jsut saw your question.

I am unfamiliar with the LC2000 server.  However I did find the location of the temperature sensor which may or may not be the issue.  See this document:

http://tinyurl.com/36acjvl

Sorry this forum is bad for URL, I had to try tinyurl.  I'll see if that works.

Look in panel three for the primary and secondary temperatre sensors.

Now the $64 question is, can it be replaced by a computer shop or would the entiere motherboard need to be replaced. 

that would be: 

D8520-69000System processor board - For up to two PIII processors with 133MHz FSB - Has integrated dual channel Ultra-2 SCSI controller, ATI Rage IIc video, and four DIMM sockets  Original

or:

P1798-69001System processor board - For up to two PIII processors with 133MHz FSB - Has integrated dual channel Ultra-3 SCSI controller, ATI Rage IIc video, and four DIMM sockets  Original

considering the age of the server you might consider disconnecting the temperature sensor and moinitor the temperature some other method??

I also noticed this statement in Parts surfer:

Note: This product (D9164A) is no longer supported by HP as of  Sep-01-2006, and service parts may not be available. The information below is for reference only.

Sorry, my best shot.

afurman
Occasional Advisor

pjamme,

Thank you for the information! But you see, us for now overheating is not a problem but FANs speed. And when you wrote "Perhaps replace the fan sensor" I assumed FAN speed sensors.

63iE275936A0F77E12D

64iB8A8923EEB74C5CE

65i3C981F2BA4FE5CC3

afurman
Occasional Advisor

Hello, experts!

Does anybody have any idea?

A new fact: while the "ill" server boots the fan LED is not flashing until Windows Server Starts.