1748172 Members
4222 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant ML 350

DRAKOO
Occasional Contributor

HP Proliant ML 350

I'm trying to connect a new external USB Hard-drive (seagate ST310005FDA1E1-RK 1TB 7200 RPM USB 2.0) on windows server 2003 (all updates are installed from microsoft).

after i connect the cable, i got an error message saying:
"No HI-SPEED USB host controllers installed"

What can i do? The hard-drive is working great on another PC (with XP).

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

What generation of Server you are speaking about?

Microsoft Update would do nothing with this error.

Step 1
In the Device Manager window, expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers node. Look for a host controller with the word "Enhanced" in the title. If you find one, the system has USB 2.0 capable ports and has the necessary host controller drivers.

Step 2
If you do not find an enhanced host controller in step 2, expand the Other Devices node and look for Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller. If you find this item, the system has USB 2.0 capable ports, but you must install drivers for this host controller. If you do not find this item, the system has no USB 2.0 ports.
DRAKOO
Occasional Contributor

Prem, thanks for your quick response.

I think is generation G3.

for step 1: no enhaced found
for step 2: i did't find "other devices node"

p.s.
i also attached a picture with the error
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Most propably you don't have a USB 2.0 Controller within your G3 server.

Please Check the details in Device manager

Step 1

Right Click My Computer icon in desktop and select Manage in drop down menu, Then select device manager in leftside list.

IF you see some thing similar to the image i have posted then the hdd would work.

Third Solution
---------------
Get a PCI USB2.0 Card and fix it in the free PCI Slot if you have one.

DRAKOO
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
No i don't have the USB 2.0 Controller - that's for sure.

As for the PCI card...i talked with HP customer service and they are sure that will not work:
"Dear customer,
The option you are thinking about will not solve your problem. The external hard drive will not work on nay Proliant server. It is not supported."

I just don't undestend why usb is factory limited to 1.0, why i can't update the driver and why i can't install a PCI card.

Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

Your Server has Five expansion slots(four 64-bit/100-MHz PCI-X, one 32-bit/33-MHz PCI)

Please check the Available Slot and By a respective USB 2.0 Addon Card then install proper driver. It Will Work & It Should work.

Tip : Some card come even with additional firewire port check the options.

Check the link for an idea.

http://www.roalan.com/PCI-USB.htm
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor
Ross Elkins

I tried adding a standard pci usb controller for the same reason (attaching a usb 2.0 external drive). I got two messages. One said that the proliant didn't support the card and drver support would have to come from the OS. The second message was a memory parity error and system halt to the boot process. This went away as soon as UI removed the card.