1753546 Members
5523 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing OS on DL580

hammelin .

Installing OS on DL580

Hello.
I have a DL580 first step (not G2 or g3) with 2Gb RAM and 2 Processor 700, 2mb.
I want install w2000 on it, but i cannot.
I put the SmartStartCD 5.50, and i start from it. A lot of point appear in screen, (like seems it's loading smartstartcd). After 6 or 7 lines, it stop. After 5 minutes, an error appears: alot of numbers and text error is:
BAD EIP VALUE
KERNEL PANIC
NOT SYNC (or something like this... sync, syncing, synchronize.. i don't remember now).
I also have another DL580, 3GB ram, 3x700, 1mb and it have the same problem, so i think i doing somethng wrong.
I upgrade BIOS to latest BIOS version on both machines.
I tried boot from w2000 cd, but it stops with a black screen with a blinking cursor on top-left, without error. On Wxp sp2 & wxp 2003, installation begins ok, but it stops when "windows 2003 it's now starting"
Plz, help...
2 REPLIES 2
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

are you sure it's the 5.50 version of SmartStart? Kernel Panic sounds like a Linux error to me, and Linux-based SmartStart CDs are only from version 6.0 onwards, which are not supported for booting G1 servers. Also the rows of dots suggest Linux to me, I've never seen SmartStart 5.50 do that.

You could try downloading a fresh copy of SmartStart 5.50
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22678.html

Another idea would be to run the System Erase Utility to wipe the server's config and then try again:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17918.html
You will have to re-create your array using the ROM config tool for the Integrated Smart Array Controller (F8 prompt during POST)

Regards,
Stephen
hammelin .

thank you.
with the erase utility all works fine!.
I used it, and then, i installed w2000 from w2000 CD, and i works fine.