7294 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion

LH3000 NET SERVER

SOLVED
Go to solution
christopher Burgess

LH3000 NET SERVER

I have a net server running NT. On my second bay I have a raide 5 setup the other day data was not available. While looking around I found no errors however on the disk manager the aray does not show.
on the disks all lights were green untill I changed out the cage then I had two disks go red. I don't think it is the disks because no matter where I put them thy work what ever I put in thoose slots turn red.

I just dont want to start throwing parts at it.

Any Ideas??

Chris
1 REPLY 1
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: LH3000 NET SERVER

Hi Chris,

Yes, lots of ideas. First, you have 2 failed members of your RAID-5. Put all the drives in the original slots. Use NetRAID Assistant to check all the drives. You want to make sure they are:
a) all responding
b) all show capacity
c) all are error-free

You can download the utility from this link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&prodNameId=19774&swEnvOID=24&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ns-12645-1

Here's the problem: When you have more than one failed drive in a RAID-5, everything is gone. There is no rebuild option. The red LED's on whichever drive you put in those slots will show failed because it is a logical failure on the controller side. The controller config says that there are failed drives on those SCSI ID's. This will not change without user intervention.

What you need to do to try to recover the system is to force one of the two failed hard drives online (and hope that it doesn't corrupt your stripset), restart the server to see if the array is accessible in a degraded state, then rebuild the remaining failed drive. If any of the drives are not responding, have 0MB capacity, or have media errors on it, then you have another problem to deal with.

My best recommendation is to call HP Netserver Support at 1-800-474-6836 with the serial number of the server. They can walk you through step by step bringing it back. There is no charge for phone support on the LH3000 so there's no reason not to take advantage of it.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

P.S. If this information was useful to you, please be sure to assign points rating it's value.
I am King...of my apartment.