ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752604 Members
4374 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Logical Drives Failing on old and new drive setups.

PorangiChris
Occasional Visitor

Logical Drives Failing on old and new drive setups.

Morning,

I'm new to Micro Server ownership having just purchased a 2nd hand Gen8.      It came with a single HHD and single SSD.    Booted ok initially and then suffered a system critical error and lost both its logical drives.   Fast forward a few days.  I have now replaced the SSD with a new one and installed 2 new HHDs with all new logical drives and arrays etc arranged as per the suggested defaults and attachment:

• 2 x HHD as single logical drive and RAID 1
  • 1 x SSD as single logical drive and RAID 0 - set as bootable.

Installed ESXi and a VM and left overnight.

But this morning I have encountered the same error as I started with (see attached file).     

What am I doing wrong or is this a hardware issue that cannot be resolved.  Obviously if its the latter I would like to return the server ASAP.

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
Tech_Aniket
HPE Pro

Hi,

Greetings!!

Thank you for posting the query here.

As per the description and screenshot, we see that Logical Drive has Failed.

Logical Drive 1 - Failed

Logical Drive 2 - Failed 

However the Drive in Bay 1 and 5 are working fine. The status of the Drive in Bay 2 is Failed. (But the logical drive should be Degraded and Not Failed)

Also as per my observation the Drives which we are using is a NON-HPE Drive.

Since these are NON HPE Drive, kindly share the Drive Specifications with us:

1. Capacity?

2. Transfer speed?

3. Technology? 

I would recommend to use a single Genuine HPE Drive and install the OS on the same. Observe the unit and see if this works fine!

Regards,

Aniket

HPE Employee

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

PorangiChris
Occasional Visitor

Hi Aniket,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.    I'm surprised by what you say about Non-HPE drives because I don't believe the drives provided by the seller and claimed to be have been working at time of sale are HPE either but I'm getting distracted to answer you question....

I have installed:

• 2 x Western Digital Red 2TB (WD20EFRX) -  SATA 6Gb/s 5400RPM 64MB - Listed as Nasware 3.0
  • 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB Sata III 2.5-inch Internal SSD, Up to 530 MB/s  (SDSSDA-120G-G27)  interfacing on Serial ATA-600.

For comparison I was provided with:

• 1 x Kingston Tech - 120GB - SSDNow (SV300S37A) interfacing on Serial ATA-600. 
  • 1 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB (ST31000340AS)  32 MB cache buffer; 7200 RPM - Firmware listed as SD15

I'll explore what you have said about getting a HPE drive but if you have any more thoughts on the suitability of these drives I would be really grateful.

Regards

Chris.