Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Erathiel
Frequent Advisor

@karma4u101 wrote:

Or ar you just ironic ;)

Oh, come on, isn't that as plain as day?

The problem here is that HP is on the safe side, at least officially. They can (and already have) tell us that the server specifications are publicly available, noise level is stated there, but with a note that the low level only concerns some standard configuration, running an OS from the Supported Operating Systems list, which, as it happens, does not include Ubuntu. Or Debian. Or any other free Linux distro, so you're stuck with enterprise editions. The closest you can get to a free OS on these servers is CentOS, using Red Hat drivers, but mind you that this is still not officially supported and probably bound to give you a headache in case of an upgrade.

WhatDoWeWant
Occasional Visitor

Mmm. Yes certainly being ironic. On a number of different forums I've read of the pending fix- "it's being tested now" etc. for over 6 months or more. The supported os's does in fact include Ubuntu, which was the trigger behind my purchase. The fine print however indicates that certification didn't include the B120i... Nor an indication that you would need to wear ear protection if running Ubuntu and working within 2 metres of it..
So c'mon Oscar - we've heard the talk, been patient - when will we see the fix????
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

The new J06 ROM has been released to the FTP

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-windows-fw-sys/p1544720401/v98895 (cp023765.exe - Windows) [Mod: ftp links are no longer valid]

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=cp023765.exe&t=All&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-linux-fw-sys/p1145667783/v98896 (CP023766.scexe - Linux) [Mod: ftp links are no longer valid]

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=CP023766.scexe&t=All&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-windows/p700205933/v98907 (SP66986.EXE - Softpaq) [Mod: ftp links are no longer valid]

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=SP66986.EXE&t=All&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

Moderator Note: [Updated with new links]

Thanks so much Oscar!

With this firmware the fan drops to 15%  without the RAID propietary driver.

23% with the latest ILO 1.51 :(

PD: The last awesome release could be an opensource version of the b120i driver for Linux :P

Thanks again.

ad-d
Advisor

Fantastic news, thanks Oscar.  Will test this tomorrow and see what difference it makes but any reduction would be welcome, if it gets down to 15% as indicated above I'll be very happy!

WhatDoWeWant
Occasional Visitor

Legend!!

I take it all back.. Will give it a crack, but hoping for the same positive outcome as others have had.

ZakSmith
Advisor

I upgraded mine remotely tonight and ILO reports the fan down to 13%.    I'll give it a listen tomorrow when I'm on site.

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks very much Oscar.  Would you mind confirming what the preferred installation method is for those of us who don't run a supported operating system?

Looking forward to testing it.

Regards,
Paul
ZakSmith
Advisor

FYI, to get the image from the scexe, on any linux machine run:

mkdir new_bios

sh -f ./CP023766.scexe --unpack=new_bios

Now log into ILO and just upload that via Administration->Firmware->Browse (Select  CPQJ0612.CC6 from the new_bios directory), then Upload.  It'll take a couple minutes to reflash.  You'll have to reboot to get the new bios.  You can check by logging into ILO and going to Information->Overview.  The latest version reports as

System ROM J06 06/06/2014

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Much appreciated, Zak.
Regards,
Paul