ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752802 Members
5209 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML110 Gen10 + RAID controller + two 3.5" SATA drives - how?

SOLVED
Go to solution
pomegranate
Occasional Collector

ML110 Gen10 + RAID controller + two 3.5" SATA drives - how?

To start with, I have a ProLiant ML110 Gen10 server. Storage is currently two 2.5" SSD drives in the front cage. These are connected to a cheap single port LSI RAID controller. Those will not change. It's supplementary storage that I need help with.

Because we couldn't get good throughput to a NAS, we want to move to internal storage.

We have two 3.5" 16TB SATA HDDs. My thinking is that we can buy and install an E208i-p RAID controller and create a separate array with those two 3.5" SATA HDDs. Is this a good solution and if so, how can I secure the HDDs inside the box? Do I need a caddy (tray) or a cage and if so, which one?

4 REPLIES 4
Harsh_b
HPE Pro

Re: ML110 Gen10 + RAID controller + two 3.5" SATA drives - how?

Hello, 

Could you please share the used 2.5" and 3.5" disk spare nos ? per server QS page 7 Mixing drive cage types is not allowed

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00021851enw

In case both 3.5" disks are non hpe then you will have multiple issues like fan noise due to different fws, Disk autheticaiton errors at post. 

Regards

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
pomegranate
Occasional Collector

Thanks for replying! What if they're attached non-hot plug to a second RAID controller, is that supported and if so what are the options to secure the drives? The drives are Seagate IronWolf Pro NAS 16TB drives.

mysy
Valued Contributor

I use ML110 G9 server, it could install two HDD cage, each one could be 8x 2.5 HDD or 4x 3.5 HDD.

with our hdd cage, HDD couldn't lock to chassis directly.  The ML110 hdd cage is only few sales in ebay or taobao.

Snap37.jpg

pomegranate
Occasional Collector
Solution

Update with solution:

I bought the ML110 Gen10 LFF backplane cage and installed it above the SFF cage that came with the server. Attached it via mini-SAS cable to the newly installed E208i-p RAID card. Bought Heretom-branded caddies for my 3.5" Seagate disks and inserted them into the cage. Even though the manual says that mixing SFF and LFF cages is not allowed, it works perfectly!