1752469 Members
7084 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML150 G2 RHEL 4

David Crook

ML150 G2 RHEL 4

I'm trying to install Redhat EL4 on a new ML150 G2 that has a SATA RAID controller.
I have downloaded the driver from the support site:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23058.html
but it doesn't seem to have any drivers that rhel can load.
Any help greatly appreciated on this matter.
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: ML150 G2 RHEL 4

I'm not good for RHEL, however did you look all step from same page for
Installation

You need to create a driver diskette to install the SATA driver for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (x86).

Insert one blank, formatted 3.5" diskette into the flexible diskette drive of a PC running Linux.

Save the .tgz file to any directory, like /tmp, on the PC.

Change to the directory, like /tmp.

Type "tar xzvf ml150rhel4sata-< version >.tgz" to extract the .tgz file.

Type "dd if=ml150rhel4sata-< version >.img of=/dev/fd0" to create a driver diskette.

During the installation of the operating system on the server, insert the SATA driver diskette you created when prompted to install the driver.

David Crook

Just to clarify I followed the instructions from the website to create the driver diskette. On starting the install of Redhat it prompts that it cannot find any disk drives. I then followed the redhat installation to add additional drivers, using the F2 key to add. This loads the driver from the floppy and adds it to the available list of drivers. From this point you should be able to highlight the added driver and press enter to add it to the loaded drivers.
Unfortunately this is where it fails. I highlighted the added driver support and pressed return but it doesn't appear in the list.

Has anyone successfully installed RHEL4 on a ML150 with a SATA RAID controller. I'm starting to wish I have paid the extra money and put SCSI drives and a smartarray!
David Crook

Having logged a call with HP Tech, extremely helpful guys, they have confirmed that the driver from the website supports the base version of RHEL4, not any updates yet. They will be amending the website to reflect this.
I'm downloading the base RHEL4 now and will only post back here if I have further problems.
If you need more info please reply back to this and I'll put more info down.
;)