1752800 Members
5605 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 server rebooting when usb HDD connected and copying files

Scott Clennell

ML350 server rebooting when usb HDD connected and copying files

Hi,

We installed an ML350 server at the weekend for a customer. When they copy large files, or large amounts of files, between two of the internal SCSI drives whilst an external USB hard drive is connected, the server reboots. This does not seem to happen when the hdd is not connected, nor when files are not being copied. Cannot find anything in event logs, nor can I see a blue screen. Anyone any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Sylvain Tetreault

Re: ML350 server rebooting when usb HDD connected and copying files

Same type of problem here,

I installed SBS 2008 standard 64 bit on a brand new ML350 G5. The server has 6 Gb RAM, 160 Gb Mirrored volume and a 1.5 Tb RAID 5 volume. All volumes are SATA drives. The only modification i did was to move the exchange database to de RAID 5 volume.

My customer uses external USB drives for backups. When copying files from USB drive to HD or from HD to USB drives, after a few minutes the server reboots, as you stated, event viewer is not of much help.

Anybody has a solution ?
Paul Levestam

Have the same type of problems myself. It is very intermittent but does always happen when doing backups via a USB HDD. System logs show nothing except that fact the system rebooted with ASR.
Iain McCracken
Frequent Advisor

If the server is rebooting with an ASR event it might be that you need to extend the time thresholds on the ASR which can be done on reboot from F8 bios
It could be that copying large files over to a usb hdd is hogging the procesrs an asr will see that as a problem and rebot the server worth a try