ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753837 Members
9457 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need upgrade to DVD-RAM firmware? ML115 G5

Stefan Gmaj

Need upgrade to DVD-RAM firmware? ML115 G5

I have installed Windows Server 2003 on an ML115 G5. It has the following DVD-RAM capable drive pre-installed by HP: "HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH15L SCSI CdRom Device."

All I am trying to do is a simple file backup/Burn to a DVD +R disk using freeware calld "CDBurnerXP". This gives me an "Error flushing write cache" whilst "Writing lead out...". One of the things they advise is to upgrade the DVD drive firmware.

1/ How do I find out what version of firmware the DVD drive is running?

2/ Where do I get the latest firmware and/or drivers from?

Many Thanks,
Stef
5 REPLIES 5
Lord Pit
Frequent Advisor

U can use only DVD-R disk, your DVD-RAM drive is listed on tested drives

http://pma.flyspray.org/testeddrives?page=testeddrives&pnum=31&sort_by=vendor&direction=desc&search=

but it also don't support DVD+R disks.
When you are giving points It's like saying Thank You :-)
Stefan Gmaj

Hi,

I have now tested with DVD-R and I get the same error. I note that on the tested list the GH15L drive shows as "Internal IDE/EIDE". Under Windows 2003 "System" however it shows as SCSI. Is this significant or not? What do I need to try next, new firmware? If so then where do I get it from?

Many thanks,
Stef
Lord Pit
Frequent Advisor

First you should try other burning software before that, try Ashampo 6 Free edition. Another question : did you made any modifikations to your SCSI controler before this problem occurred ? Maybe you set WRITE CACHE : OFF on your SCSI CARD BIOS ?

Stefan Gmaj

Thanks,

The reason I went for CD Burner XP was that it said that it explictly supported Win 2003.

Ashampoo 6 doesn't include Server 2003 in it's supported list as far as I can tell? Is anyone out there using Ashampoo 6 with Win 2003? Should I try it anyway?

Re the SCSI BIOS setting as far as I know these were not touched (but a second HDD was installed). Is there any way I can check the SCSI BIOS settings from Windows 2003?

Your help is much appreciated,

Many thanks
Stef
Lord Pit
Frequent Advisor

To check RAID BIOS settings, you must go to POST.