5214 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NetRaid reclaim hotspares

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA306704

NetRaid reclaim hotspares

I am trying to reclaim two hotspare drives from the global hotspare pool on a Netserver LxPro with an older model 3 channel NetRaid adaptor. The NetRaid assistant (version A.02.02) documentation indicates that you can reclaim a hotspare drive from the global pool to be put back into a ready state. All drives on the adaptor have been configured and when I attempt to enter the Configuration Wizard the software indicates that there are no drives in the ready state and does not allow the wizard to continue.

Is there any other method to reclaim these drives? I am trying to add addtional space on this system and want to recliam these two hotspares to create a Raid1 array. The only other choice I can see is to change the "status" of the physical drive to "Make Offline" or "Spin Down", but I do not if this is the appropriate action. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Thomas,

do not use the config wizard to perform this step, the way to remove a configured hotspare disk is to right click on it in Netraid Assistant and choose "Tools", then "Fail drive".

After this the drive will be listed again as "Ready" and you can use it to add to the configuration in the way you need this disk.

If this does not work with the rather old Netraid Assistant utility you run (A.02.02 ?) , pls install a later version of it like B.02.03. I've done this and it works fine.

HTH

Kris
CA306704

kris,

Thanks for the info. The NetRaid assistant version I am using has this option. Right-click on the physical device provides the "Tools" menu with the "Fail Drive" selection.

I will not be able to test the change until later this week but since you have used this method successfully yourself I should be all set.

Thanks again.