108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Netserver E800 no boot after power out

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brodie Parmiter
Occasional Advisor

Netserver E800 no boot after power out

After a power outage Im unable to reboot my E800 Netserver. I have tried removing power cord for 5 mins and resetting the No.4 micro switch on the M/Board but the system will still not boot. I have the BIOS flash upgrade ready to go however without boot this is of no use. I have even tried a new power surply. Any sugestions on how to get this rig to fire would be great as my main server is now dead.
11 REPLIES 11
CA850077
Advisor

Can you get the server to beep without any memory in the system?

From your descriptions it sounds as if you are getting no POST is this true?
Brodie Parmiter
Occasional Advisor

Correct no display no post screen. I do get beeps. 1, 1-2, 1-2-3.. I have removed IDE, Floppy, SCSI and tried all clear BIOS methodes I can find. I have been able to reboot in the past by un-plugging power for 10mins then re-boots ok, however not this time.
Brodie Parmiter
Occasional Advisor

I will try without memory but as Im on-site today I cannot try this until this evening.
CA850077
Advisor

No need to pull memory I was just seeing if the processor was functioning at all. If you our getting any beeps it is. Pull any PCI cards that may be in the machine, including any video controllers out. Also remove any external devices including mouse and keyboard. Leave only monitor connected. Then try clearing CMOS again.
Brodie Parmiter
Occasional Advisor

By external devices do you mean keyboard also? As this is all that remains at this point. The only PCI is a sound card. I will try this evening.
CA850077
Advisor

Yes remove the keyboard for now.

Another thing to try if still no POST. Remove all memory expect one DIMM. If still same result remove DIMM in first slot and try a second DIMM in the first slot. Next try that same DIMM in the second slot. This will rule out a bad DIMM and a bad memory slot. If only one DIMM try it in a different slots.
Brodie Parmiter
Occasional Advisor

Hi Andrew,
I have now tryied all sugestions and still no luck. I removed keyboard, swapped ram, and removed all PCI cards. I still just get the following beeps. 1, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2-3. Seems that this BIOS just will not clear.!! Any other ideas would be great. I really dont wont to scrap the M/Board as I still think it may be ok. My tech skills are good, I have been building systems for over 7 years. So dont be scared to recomend somthing tricky...

Brodie
CA850077
Advisor

Sorry to say but your BIOS chip is dead.

http://www.phoenix.com/resources/bios-postcode.pdf

Check out the beep code of 1 â 2 â 2 â 3 , translated to POST code 16h

HP does not sell BIOS chips for that system separately and there is no BIOS ROM recovery option with this machine to try to flash the protected section of the EPROM chip. Unfortunately your only solution is to replace the system board. Here is the part # D9387-69022.

A side note. The chip is removable so if you happen to have an EPROM programmer hanging around you could try using the .bin file off the BIOS floppy disk and attempt reprogram the chip. Otherwise youâ re out of luck with this system board. This step may be unsuccessful too if the chip was damaged a by the power spike when the power came back on or just before it shutoff.

I would say to take this matter up with insurance, power surge protector manufacturer, or UPS manufacturer at this point. I would test some of the other component of the system in some other machines to make sure that nothing else was damaged.

Best of Luck,

And
Brodie Parmiter
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Well what a blow. Thanks you very much for your time and help. Looks like its time to upgrade.

Brodie