108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver LH3000 18.2 gb vlr scsi hard drive failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Larkin
Occasional Advisor

Netserver LH3000 18.2 gb vlr scsi hard drive failure

I'm an admin of a medium/small business and I have a little problem here. In my Netserver LH3000 (pedestal mount)I have 2 arrays of 18.2gb drives, one with 5 drives and one with 7. All drives are the 1" variety.

One of the drives in the first array has "died" (blinking amber light) and I can't get the drive to come out.

I have read the instructions and by opening the little gate and pulling on it, I can only get it to come out about 1/2" and then shut off, it won't come out any further.

I really don't want to pry on it anymore as this is generally a HORRIBLE idea with electronics/plastic in a production environment.

TIA for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi John,

It sounds as though the lock mechanism is stuck. These servers had a design flaw (or feature?) that if you tried to remove a drive when the cage is locked, the mechanism sticks. Usually, there are 2 interlocking gears that are not interlocked. If you take the 6 screws out of the front of the drive cage, and the one on the inside of the server, you can slide the whole cage forward a couple of inches. You may then be able to use a screwdriver to force the gears back into their correct positions. Otherwise, the only was around it is to break the lock.

I have also seen situations where the drive was just really snug and just needed to be forced, but you don't want to take that for granted.

If you need any help or further clarification, you can call the HP Netserver Support team at 1-800-474-6836. HP still offers free phone support on the LH3000 so you might as well take advantage of it while it lasts.

Best of luck,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

P.S. If this information is useful to you, please be sure to assign points rating it's value.
I am King...of my apartment.
John Larkin
Occasional Advisor

Oddly when I got the drive out about 1/2" and popped it back in the red light when away and once I opened up the NetRaid asst. it showed as "Rebuilding".

It's too bad that it sounds like I'll have to open up the case to accomplish anything when the drive does die.
John Larkin
Occasional Advisor

Is there any way to break the lock without having to shut down the server?

Thanks,

John