ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753682 Members
5610 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Poor send performance on DL380G5 with NC373i

Chris Hess

Re: Poor send performance on DL380G5 with NC373i

Jeremy - Back on 9/28/07 in this post, David removed SP2 and still had the same problem.

I've been fighting this issue for 3 months in an ML350 G5 running SBS 2k3 R2 w/ the same NC373i. Had updated to NIC Driver 4.1.3.0 from 1/10/08 about 2 weeks ago to no avail.

Outlook email was updating so slow, wireless network printers disconnecting all day long, databases giving write cache errors ... I bought the NC110T today and everything is running smoothly there.

I'd already upgraded 4 other sites running multiple DL380 G5s to Intel based NICs to solve their issues and just had not made the connection to our Small Business Clients -- this is a problem with NC373i.

I've contacted our HP MarketStar service rep and referenced this thread as well as opening the trouble ticket.

This has been painful -- particularly since we converted this SBS client from a totally Dell shop to a totally HP shop -- then 3 months of this!

Definitely use the command line to disable the chimney. I did it w/ the driver software (back in October) and ended up having to remove and reinstall the drivers to get access to the NICs again.
dan clements

I have been having the same problems on a server that was installed some months ago. It worked fine until 3 weeks ago. I tried all the updates available with no help. I did see an improvement by turning off TOE.
Today I installed an NC110t Intel chipset card and disabled the built in NC373i card. All the problems went away. My speedtest to my local ISP went from 256k with TOE disabled on the old card to 1025k with the new Intel card. All the users issues seem to be resolved.
Dan
Kevin Ervinck

We are also experiencing this problem with 1 customer of ours. He ordered two servers back in June. Since disabling TCP offload helped a bit and brought back performance with 30%. However since HP released the updated NIC drivers for NC373i the problem went away on one of the two servers and still is today. Confusingly enough updating the second server with the same driver didn't solve the slow network file copy problem at all. Currently we are doing daily tests with other settings. At end if takes to much time we will be obliged to buy some NC110's aswell.
Darren Quigley
Advisor

We were seeing the same problems, slow network issues. This has been sucessful for us on new HP servers with NC373i nics. We didn't have to buy Intel cards.

An update to turn off default SNP features is available for Windows Server 2003-based and Small Business Server 2003-based computers (KB 948496)

There is a *new* High-priority/Non-Security update for Windows Server 2003 Post-SP2 which was recently released, and you should consider installing this update on any Windows Server 2003-SP2 Server. This hotfix disables the new Scalable Networking Pack, SNP, features that were delivered with Windows Server 2003 SP2. These SNP features were designed to offload a lot of the overhead processing required for network operations from the Operating system to compatible network adapter hardware.

For more background information on the SNP, you can read about these features here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878074.aspx

Within our Support organization, we have received a number of calls from Customers that were having network related issues and turning off these features, which are enabled by default with Windows Server 2003 SP2, solved the problem. It appears that there have been some incompatibilities with these advanced features and some of the older drivers for these cards which support these features.

Our recommendation is that unless you have specific requirements for enabling these advanced networking features, Customers install this hotfix to disable the SNP.

Please note that this applies to only Windows Server 2003 SP2 Servers, where this feature was enabled by default.

To review and obtain this hotfix, please follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=948496
Sven Gader

We had the same problem but with a DL360 G5 and the same nic NC373i.
With help from this post we resolved it.
We did try the microsoft patch that was posted yesterday on one of the servers but it made no difference. But that was before bios and firmware was upgraded so it might still be the resolution.

I'm not completely happy though. Because everytime you install / upgrade drivers the TOE and RSS setting goes back to default settings and the problem is back.

All actions below resolved the issue for us.
1: Upgrade Bios and firmware from disk FW800.2008_0207.37.iso (firmware-8.00-0.zip)

The order is important as every time you install the driver the settings goes back to default wich is enabled.
2: Upgrade drivers: cp008415.exe
3: Upgrade NCU (Network Configuration Utility) cp008413.exe

4: Edit registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
EnableRSS == 0
EnableTCPA == 0
Enabletcpchimney == 0

5: run the following command: Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED

6: Go inside NCU and on each nic go to advanced settings:
Remove the enabled tick for TCP offload engine.
Remove the enabled tick for Receive-Side Scaling.

7: Boot

Marc Pritchard

We have had a different NC373i issue but have paid close attention to this thread recently. We are using Citrix Presentation Manager 4.5, Windows 2003SP2, and the now infamous Proliant DL 360 G5 with the NC373i network card. Everything has been patched to the latest versions.

The network card will stop being connected to the network. One cannot ping to the server or ping anyone else on the network. It can ping itself, however. No one has ever seen this problem that we have contacted. We have not been able to google any other threads on it either.

We have tried most of the items mentioned here, including changing the system board.

As of early this morning, we have installed the NC110T network card and disabled the two NC373i(s).

So far we have not had a problem. We shall continue to monitor and report back to this thread.

This is the very first time that I have been so disappointed in HP hardware. I can only reitrate those who have said that they wish that they had done this first.
David Borden
Advisor

FOR THOSE THAT ARE STILL HAVING ISSUES:

Make sure you download PSP 8.0. This is the ONLY location where the drivers have been updated. You need to update FIRMWARE, NCU, and Drivers for the nc373i in that order to resolve the issues.

HP has not to my knowledge updated their site with just the drivers(they had to give me special links to a 3rd party FTP site to download the firmware, ncu, and driver update.

So if your downloading just the drivers, firmware, or ncu your probably not getting the newest version. Download the PSP 8.0.

DUSTON SMITH

Might you have a link for SmartStart 8.0? Perhaps it isn't out yet for Windows Server 2003 32-bit?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=344318тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=345557&taskId=135
David Borden
Advisor

I can't speak to smartstart. I would just use smartstart 7.9a and then use Proliant Support pack 8.0.
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

The Smartstart 8.00 is available from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=344318&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=345557тМй=en&cc=us . There is now both a 32-bit and 64-bit edition.