1753860 Members
7411 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 cpu upgrade

Aaron Mossman
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 3000 cpu upgrade

The nice folks in customer support tell me that this machine has been 'retired' and they will no longer support it without $$. So here's the question for any of you who know the answer. They say I can upgrade this to a PIII 500 but they won't give me anything but their part number. Is it the Intel SL35E, the SL3D9 or something else? Also, what patches/firmware upgrades do I need to download to make it work with the PIII 500 chip. It is currently factory stock with a PII 450.
2 REPLIES 2
CA1188635
Frequent Advisor

Just about any P3 500/256/100/2.0v s1
or 500/512/100/2.0v s1 processors will work
Just make sure they are the same.

E-bay is a good place to get processors of
there age you can get a pair for about $20 to $40.

If you can get them cheaper grab them You wont see much if any improvement.

Good luck,Scott
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You should probably try to find the latest firmware for the 3000....

Click...
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/1112.html?locale=en_US&prodSeriesId=254910

and select your OS.

Are you running Windows 2000 or better? If so, and if you only replace the single processor, you should not have any trouble with starting up. If you ADD a second processor after that, you will have to manually configure Windows to use "Multiple" processors.

To do so, go into the device manager. Under the computer catagory, you will want to update the driver for your installed type. Your current driver will probably say "Uniprocessor PC" or similar. You need to change it to Multiprocessor or SMP. There are some posts with more specific instructions.

If you are not running Windows, then you may need to rebuild the system or the kernel if your running linux.

As Scott mentions, the improvement from P2-450 to P3-500 is not much, but the addition of a second processor might make some noticable differences. I would consider upping the memory as well if you go dual.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)