1753448 Members
4952 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLIant DL760 G1 can't boot from CD

Long Ching
Occasional Contributor

ProLIant DL760 G1 can't boot from CD

I am re-installing OS on this server and used System Erase diskette to wipe the machine clean. However, it would not boot up from the SmartStart CD nor from any know good bootable CD. I was able to find a Win98 installation diskette and selected "boot with CDROM support" to start the server. I was able to look at the content of the CD in the CD drive. Therefore, the CD drive is functional. I did set up the boot order as CDROM first through the BIOS menu. Also, I was able to use the System Config diskettes to create system partition on the SCSI hard drive (on Smart Array) and other hardware configurations. Short of swap the CD drive, is there any other software/hardware settings that I can try? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

Hi, are you use cleaning CD lens?, try with this, if problem persist replace your CD ROM drive, if you say that use good boot cds maybe CD Rom drive is defective...
good luck
Long Ching
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response. I cleaned the CD drive lens with wipe and compressed air but still can├в t boot from the CD. I tried Windows2K, WindowsXP, and even RedHat boot CD. All of those boot CDs worked on other machines so I know they are good and bootable. I also noticed that just after the POST screen, the CD drive light comes up for just a second and then the floppy drive light comes up. I am pretty sure the CD drive is working because when I use diskette to boot into Win98 or DOS, I can display the content of any CD I put into the drive. It├в s just that it could not boot. The CD is a slim form factor and there is no jumper to set master or slave. Also, it is the only IDE drive in the server since all other drive slots are for SCSI drives. Could there be some other settings or switches that can force the server to check the CD drive longer for bootable CD?
Long Ching
Occasional Contributor

I got a replacement CDROM drive and installed it into the server, but with the same result. It still does not boot from the CD drive with all known good bootable CDs. I double checked the BIOS boot order and CDROM is the first on the list. I would really appreciate somebody can give me a pointer or two on how to force the system to boot from CD. Thanks.
Long Ching
Occasional Contributor

I finally purchased a replacement data cable (parts No 314014-003) between the CD-ROM and the media module base board. The server now boots up from the CD-ROM drive after replacing the cable.