4742 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant ML330 G3 server System Management question

Benedek Frank
Advisor

ProLiant ML330 G3 server System Management question

Hi

I inherited this server, and I am trying to figure out my way with it. I installed this package, which was really a long process to get System Management installed. I tried to select everything I needed from the long list of options before the install, I hope I did well. I am able to log in, and it is showing me good stats about the machine, so I guess it is ok, except the Version Control. This is a message I get when I check it:

Status cannot be calculated because a Version Control Repository Manager has not been named. Click on change agent settings to specify a Version Control Repository Manager.

How do I install a Repository, or is it supposed to be part of what I installed?

Thanks for any help,

Ben
5 REPLIES 5
Benedek Frank
Advisor

Solved the problem myself, I guess I was blind. I found the Repository install on the Downloads section, and installed it. Now it is downloading the Updates from HP.com.

However, is this a necessary thing to have when someone has only one server in the organization? I would understand if we had 1000 servers, and all need the same packs, but I have only one server. Isnt there an update like the Windows update, where I gets stuff directly from the web?

Thanks

Ben
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

You're correct. A repository would only be beneficial if you had multiple servers where you had tested the updates and were ready to deploy/execute them across your environment.

I'm not aware of HP offering something comparable to Windows Update like you describe, nor would I suggest using it if they did.

Locate a version of the PSP (ProLiant Support Pack) compatible with your server, read the installation notes, and install it. If you have problems, investigate the individual downloads for the PSP's components, and install them if you'd like, but don't assume that the 'latest and greatest' will often solve problems.
Benedek Frank
Advisor

Hi

THanks for your reply. Yes, I agree with what you say actually, I need to be careful with what I install.

So, I removed the repository already. I do not need that.

Can you help me with the Support pack install? WHen I downloaded that 70MB thing, and launched it, I was presented with a ton of options, what I want to install, and what I dont, and which I would like to install, I need to configure beforehand, etc. Is that the normal way of proceeding?

ALso, it only works through a website, which is very handy from a remote machine, but a pain in the *** from the console machine. Is this the way to have it, through a web interface via JAva?

Thanks

Ben
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I'm not following you.

The Systems Management Homepage is web-enabled. You can access it via Internet Explorer on the server or from a workstation. It doesn't use IIS so you shouldn't have as much to worry about from the perspective of security. It has its own built-in web server...a tiny, stripped-down version of Apache if I remember correctly. Any security patches would come directly from HP, and there haven't been many. Don't worry.

With regards to your Java question, as far as I'm concerned Java is optional. There are some non-essential links (performance monitoring) from within the System Management Homepage that require it, but I don't bother with it. Skip Java.

If you meant did you need to install the PSP (ProLiant Support Pack) remotely or locally, you have a choice of either. If you run Setup.exe you have a nice GUI to do either. Also from Setup.exe you can configure the modules with a username/password, point it to a Repository (nevermind), and a few other odds and ends. There are also .CMD files that you can run on the server to install (but not configure) the PSP.

If you skip the configuration, it isn't a problem. You will just have to manually set a username/password after installation.

Also, the individual Compaq Support Packs (whether run from Setup.exe or the .CMD file) are intelligent enough to determine whether the particular hardware component is installed, and if so, install the software.

Don't forget to update the firmware!
Benedek Frank
Advisor

Hi

Thanks again.

Few things I made you (and me) confused with. Sorry. I didnt mean IIS when I said Web enabled. I meant that I have to deal with all management through a web browser, and I would have prefered it through some GUI of a software, etc. I guess it is just my personal preference, and also that the display of the server is 800x600, so that it can be viewed nicely through VNC on the 1024x768 desktop. (Way to cold in the server room to camp out there daily)

So the PSP will install itself easily with no config. Well, I wish I knew that before, but I didnt, so I spent a lot of time looking at all those options, with all the different RAID controllers, etc.

I didnt have to set a Password/Username though, I think the new PSP uses Windows integrated authentication. ANd from remotely just username and password wont work, you need to supply your username like DOMAIN\username

This held me up a bit.

What do you mean by upgrading the firmware? THe BIOS of the motherboard? Or the RAID controler? Is it risk free? DO you upgrade online? I cannot really take the server offline much...

THanks for any suggestions, sorry for the n00b questions..

Ben