108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant ML350 G4 noisy cooling fans

SOLVED
Go to solution
Taran Scott
Occasional Contributor

ProLiant ML350 G4 noisy cooling fans

Anyone know of a method of reducing fan volume on these servers ?

I have two in place for a client and they sound like a jet taking off.

I don't mind third party hardware if necessary, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

All latest drivers including the Health drivers from the support pack have been installed.

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
CA1211090
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I think this is just a setup issue. At first G4's fan really sounds like a jet, but after a while it should slow down, almost noiseless. Please reset a CMOS, an extensive instruction on how to follow it, is placed on the back side of the cover.

Kosma
Taran Scott
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your helpful reply.

I tried to assign you some points but I keep getting a "system is down" error message.

When you say reset the CMOS are you talking about a complete reset where all config options will have to be replaced or do you mean to adjust some of the settings within the BIOS ?

I am assuming that in the ML350 a CMOS reset will return the machine to a factory 'safe' default condition. Perhaps that is what is intended to cure the fan problem ?
CA1211090
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hello,

I meant to reset the CMOS settings only. You are right, this will load ,,factory safe'' settings. I have installed some G4's last time and I know that the fan shouldn't work like this all the time.

Regards,
Kosma
Taran Scott
Occasional Contributor

Again, thank you.

Friday morning will tell a story.

Wish me luck !
CA1338765
Frequent Advisor

Look in management homepage for fan speed. If it hight, that system can be overheated.
There is the option exists in some server RBSU to set fan speed to low.
BR894765
Valued Contributor

Hmm, forum have a bug. Instead of my name it put "Craig".