1752797 Members
6085 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI Problem Proliant ML330

David Whitby
Occasional Contributor

SCSI Problem Proliant ML330

Need some basic help of identifying a problem on a Proliant ML330 server.
Tape drive was removed for repair, when comes to re-installing it, it is not recognised on boot, DOes not recognise any SCSI devices
I cant remember the SCSI id before the unit was shipped. Is there a way to determine all SCSI ID's?
If the Dat drive has the same SCSI ID as an existing drive, would that cause it not to be recognised?
I have also replaced the SCSI lead, thinking it was that.
I have inserted the Dat drive into another server, and is recognised immidiatley.

Still no Joy. Can some one point me in the right direction??????
5 REPLIES 5
El.Magnifico
Frequent Advisor

Hi.

If the tape drive is recognised in another server the tape drive shpuld not be the problem.

One reason could be the scsi ID another reason could be incorrect termination, cable length or any twisted pin on the controller or at the cable.

What does the controller report with no tape drive connected?

It should at least report its own scsi ID an the IDs of the connected drives if everything is connected correctly. The tape drive connected to another server should give you the scsi ID of the tape drive.

Normally the controller has scsi ID 7, drives start at ID 0 and other devices have high IDs, on older controllers 5 or 6 on newer ones somewhere about 10 to 15.

Michael
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

hi, normally servers had 2 SCSI controllers, hard disks are connected to SCSI Port1 and the other devices are connected to SCSI Port2. If you had some additional device in SCSI Port2 check the ID, under device ther are 4 jumpers, and depending of positions, to do this check: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/op/jumpSCSI-c.html
All scsi devices needs to have different ID├В┬┤s, hard disk from 0,1,2... on SCSI Port1 and tape devices 6,5,4...on SCSI Port2
Regards
David Whitby
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help so far... for more info this is the post boot info..

Proliant ML330 DO3/Fo3 system bios
SCANNING FOR SCSI DEVICES--NO SCSI DEVICES DETECTED
SLOT 4 COMPAQ RAID LC2 CONTROLLER (VER 1.00) 1 LOGICAL DRIVE(S)

PRESS F10 TO RUN THE OPTION ROM-BASED ARRAY CONFIGURATION UTILITY
PRESS ESC TO SKIP THE CONFIGURATION UTILITY
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

If you have a Smart Array Controller, the drive cage w/hdd (the array) must be connected to this, and you can use embebbed SCSI ports to connect tape drive: Port1 or Port2...press ESC to continue and check the system recognize tape
David Whitby
Occasional Contributor

I have now replaced the SCSI lead, re booted the server, but still no joy the drive is still not detected... what I cant work out is that nothing else has changed on the SCSI lead to the drive not to be recognised.
Again, I tried the tape drive in another server and it is recognised...

I have a spare scsi terminal on the scsi lead... would this make a difference? The way it is connected from SCSI board to end terminator is as follows, SCSI card, HDD1, HDD2, HDD3 ,spare, DAT TApe drive, end terminator.

ANyone have any ideas Please????