ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753297 Members
6884 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Segate drive with ibm firmware... how to flash?

james glass
Advisor

Segate drive with ibm firmware... how to flash?

Just purchased a bunch of Segate 73 gig drives. What the vendor failed to tell me was that they were flashed with IBM firmware. When I install these drvies in my system, the randomly system hangs. Netraid doesn't report the drives as bad. When the system doesn't hang and boots, if I try and access the drives in Netraid tools in windows, Windows hangs (this is windows server, enterprise).

After preassuring the vendor for about half an hour (BTW-- the vendor in my opinion is very arrogant and nasty... I suggest avoiding him. Email me if you want his contact info), he admits that there may be an incompatibility between the IBM firmware loaded by seagate for IBM and my netserver (apparently he's had this issue before). He suggested locating the firmware for these drives and reflashing the drives.

Before I loose it with this guy, just want to get a feel for whether anyone else has faced this. How difficult is it to re-flash the bios on these drives (they are standard segate '454lc drives)? I actually got a good price on them, so if they can be reflashed, I'd prefer to just do it and never deal with this guy.

Thanks again.
4 REPLIES 4
james glass
Advisor

anyone?
CA1248225
Advisor

If they were HP purchased drives, they would be flashable by booting to the standard Hp Firmware Maintenance CD.

Given they don't appear to be, I'm not sure what I can suggest.
james glass
Advisor

where can I find the HP flash program?
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

The ProLiant Firmware Maintenance CD is bootable and can be used to flash the firmware on HP drives, etcetera. No idea if this will work on the drives you have or not...

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/25831.html