1753460 Members
4681 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartStart 7.30 Install of Win2K3 Hangs When Installing HP Utilities

BR712462

SmartStart 7.30 Install of Win2K3 Hangs When Installing HP Utilities

System:
HP Proliant ML370-G4, 2x Processors, 2GB RAM, 1x NC7781 NIC, 3 x NC7771 NICs, Smart Array 6400 Controller.
------------------------------
Hi,

When using SmartStart 7.30 to install Windows 2003 Std Server, the installation appears to hang when it comes to the installation of the HP Utilities (the stage after when you can first logon to the server). Nothing appears to happen (no disk or CD activity and processor activity is next to zero). After about 3 hours I forced the install process to end and I noticed that the task manager reported that there were no active NIC's. Delving deeper, all the NICs were disabled and I couldn't enable them. Restarting the server enabled all the NIC's.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue and more importantly how to resolve it (I guess ending the task is one way around the issue but would really like to resolve it)?

Thanks in advance for any help and or pointers.
Sergio
3 REPLIES 3
CA665495

similar problem here. Do you have a solution now?ThanksJun
BR712462

No sorry. Never did find a resolution. I opened a case with HP and sent the engineer a diagnostic report and he confirmed that nothing seemed to be wrong.

The only suggestion he came up with was to try using SmartStart 7.40 that had just been released. Haven't tried that.

Since then, I have had 2 occassions when I've tried to disable one of the network interface cards via Windows and then re-enable it and it seemed to lockup the whole server. Had to reboot.

I have an almost identical server to the one with the problem described above and it doesn't suffer from the same issue even though installation method is the same (same OS and SmartStart version). Differences between the two servers are: 1 less NIC (NIC's are the same type on both), 1 less processor and fewer and smaller sized disks. Otherwise configuration is the same.

How many NIC's do you have in your server (including the integrated one) and what NIC's are they?

Sergio
CA665495

The problem for me is the NIC drive 8.0.15 for NC3134. The server hung when this drive is installed, even if I install the drive alone. (cp005150 and cp005148). And I see the same interesting thing as you did. I have about 50 servers, some of these servers have the exactly the same hareware/software configuration. Some of them just ok, some of them I have to uninstall the nic and re-install it.
Most of my servers have 4 or more this NICs.
Thanks
Jun