3227 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrade Microserver - N36L to Gen8 G1610T

j0nkn1ght
Occasional Visitor

Upgrade Microserver - N36L to Gen8 G1610T

Hi,

I've just bought a G1610T to replace an N36L, running Windows Home Server 2011 (64-bit) using a 250GB boot HDD, and two 2TB drives in a RAID 0 array.

I was (rather naively, perhaps) hoping that I could just swap the drives to the new box, configure the RAID array, and it would boot up, so that I could upgrade the Windows drivers.

When I swap the drives across, though, booting from the C: drive fails with the error "non system disk or disk error".  When I put the disks back in the N36L, it boots as normal.

Am I missing something?  Is there something I need to do in the BIOS or Intelligent Provisioning to get it to recognise the boot drive? 

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

While both systems us software based RAID controllers, the RAID stack between the two systems is not compatible. The N36-N54 used RAID technology from AMD and with the Gen8 systems the RAID stack is compatible with the "P" series Smart Array controllers.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
j0nkn1ght
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the information.

So does this mean that the only option for an upgrade is to wipe the disks, and restore everything from backup?

I'm still a bit confused about why I can't get my boot drive to work, as this isn't part of the RAID array.  Any idea why this won't work?  Is there something I'm missing in the BIOS settings?

Thanks.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The conroller can be set as SATA AHCI or in B120i RAID mode. The 4 drive bats are then either treated as plain SATA or RAID not a mixture.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!