ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753325 Members
5507 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows Home Server Install Proliant ml330 G3

Martin Wade

Windows Home Server Install Proliant ml330 G3

I would like to know if Windows Home Server can be installed on the Proliant ml330 G3. I have attempted the install using the DVD install CD and a floppy with the drivers for the CSB-6 ATA-100 IDE RAID Controller.
I have not done any other ROM, Driver, or Software upgrades.
The install fails in the middle of copying the files with a disk IO error.
6 REPLIES 6
Lord Pit
Frequent Advisor

If you used the newiest raid driver for your controler over FDD it won't work becouse it's made for the updated ROM of your RAID CARD. You need old drivers for your old rom - have you tried the build in installation drivers ?
When you are giving points It's like saying Thank You :-)
Martin Wade

If I try WHS by itself it does not see the drive at all. If I use the CSB-6 driver (which is 2005 or 2006) then it see's the drive and formats just fine. Then when it goes to copy files it gets started and then crashes about 1/3 of the way across the bar.

If I use the same driver disk and load XP and use F6 everything works fine so I don't think the driver is a missmatch for the ROM.
Lord Pit
Frequent Advisor

WHS is Win2k3 server, the core isn't like XP. But you get the drive so it worked, so we need to check is it DVD disc problem or WHS installer problem. Try from another DVD disc and drive.
Martin Wade

I thought of the disc too because I am running from a burned disc from the WHS trial download. I did run the CRC on the download and it came out correct. I have tried 3 burned DVDs from 2 computers. I have not been able to try a different drive. It sounds like from your response that this should work even with the motherboard RAID system. If that is the case then I might investigate finding someone with a true WHS DVD rather then a downloaded copy. That is where my question really originated. Before I went to the effort of getting a non downloaded DVD I wanted to know if this should work. By the way, this is a download of the trial version from the MS site not some hacked cheat copy.
Lord Pit
Frequent Advisor

It should work, becouse in WHS is Win2k3 R2 CORE, and driver library. If you want try Win 2k3 R2 trial and get even from a desktop PC DVD drive for test :)

PS. I think your company should afford buying one, even as spare.
Martin Wade

Thanks for the information. I will give that a shot and start a new thread with any appropriate questions.
Your response was quick and helpful.