ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753851 Members
9070 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion

XP Pro on a ML115? Can it be done?

Gary Curran

XP Pro on a ML115? Can it be done?

Good day. We are a very small company, less than 10 people, and we need a backup solution, and applications 'server' platform. I'm looking for a RAID array, but I don't want a real 'Server.' I don't need it, mostly what we do here is a peer to peer network running through a single router and switch to a cable internet connection.

What I do need is the ability to run EMC/Insignia Professional and up to 10 client applications from a computer that will give me back up (RAID) storage, AND, I need a place to migrate our small FileMaker Pro database. This is all I need to do.

I don't want a 'Client/Server' network, that doesn't work for us. We don't have a dedicated IT professional (I'm as close as they're going to get, and I'm an electronics tech) and don't really have the budget to spend $1,000 on Server, or even $500 more on SBS.

Hence, since I get a very good price on XP Professional SP2, I didn't think I'd have any issues running it on the ML115. Now I'm told that it's unsupported and untested.

It *SEEMS* that some people have been able to run it, but I'm looking for any input you may be able to give me. I'm particularly worried about the RAID array and loading the software for it. I've seen some suggestions for using the Win2K drivers, but anyone with experience in this, I would surely appreciate the help.

Not everyone needs a Server OS for every application?

Regards,

Gary