ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Me Too'd this topic

dcolpitts
Frequent Advisor

Intelligent Provisioning 1.60 breaks 2008 R2 install (will not accept product key during setup)

So I've got a pair of DL380p Gen8 servers here that are brand new from the factory (built about 3 weeks ago).  The both came with Intelligent Provisioning 1.50.  On the first one, I was able to install 2008R2 using IP 1.50.  Before using IP to install 2008R2 on the 2nd one, I upgraded IP to 1.60.  After the GUI for Windows setup starts, it fails on the autounattend.xml that IP 1.60 generates on the ProductKey.

 

Obviously I thought I had done something wrong, so I started over - a couple of times.  After the setup fails it drops you back to a command prompt in WinPE.  I even messed with the unattend file and relaunched setup from WinPE - no dice.  I changed OS versions (from 2008R2 Std to Enterprise) and the same error happens.

 

After doing some snooping around, I found that HP replaces setup.exe from the 2008R2 install with the setup.exe from what appears to be 2012 version.  The version number of setup.exe for 2008R2 is 6.1.7601.17514 (this is from the volume licensing media labelled SW_DVD5_Windows_Svr_DC_EE_SE_Web_2008_R2_64Bit_English_w_SP1_MLF_X17-22580.iso).  The version number that gets installed after using IP 1.60 has started the setup is 6.2.9200.20773, which is dated 2013.07.12 and signed by Microsoft.

 

After performing some additional snooping, I found that IP 1.60 includes a "hotfixes" folder (that comes from the file 453278.7z on the IP 1.60 media).  This hotfixes folder contains approximatley 56 files as shwon below.

 

07/06/2012  04:18 PM             1,046 alert.gif
07/06/2012  04:18 PM            11,673 appcompat.xsl
07/06/2012  04:18 PM            12,498 appcompat_bidi.xsl
07/06/2012  04:18 PM            13,371 appcompat_detailed_bidi_txt.xsl
07/06/2012  04:18 PM            13,326 appcompat_detailed_txt.xsl
10/11/2012  01:22 AM             4,096 arunres.dll
07/12/2013  06:01 AM           170,328 autorun.dll
07/12/2013  05:41 AM           673,280 cmisetup.dll
10/11/2012  12:49 AM           182,272 compatprovider.dll
10/11/2012  01:44 AM            38,912 diager.dll
10/11/2012  01:44 AM           156,672 diagnostic.dll
07/12/2013  03:37 AM           267,264 dism.exe
10/11/2012  12:48 AM           385,024 dismcore.dll
10/11/2012  12:49 AM           134,656 dismcoreps.dll
07/12/2013  03:05 AM           172,032 dismhost.exe
07/12/2013  03:36 AM           260,096 dismprov.dll
10/11/2012  12:06 AM           146,944 drvmgrtn.dll
07/12/2013  03:48 AM            72,704 du.dll
10/11/2012  12:52 AM            55,808 folderprovider.dll
07/12/2013  03:55 AM           192,000 hwcompat.dll
10/11/2012  03:19 AM               120 idwbinfo.txt
10/10/2012  08:45 PM           478,424 locale.nls
07/12/2013  03:36 AM           180,224 logprovider.dll
10/11/2012  01:22 AM            56,832 nlsbres.dll
10/10/2012  08:44 PM            33,644 offline.xml
10/11/2012  01:44 AM            82,432 pnpibs.dll
07/12/2013  06:27 AM           130,656 rollback.exe
10/11/2012  12:57 AM           139,264 sdbapiu.dll
07/06/2012  04:15 PM           412,572 segoeui.ttf
07/12/2013  06:27 AM           285,280 setup.exe
07/12/2013  05:41 AM           894,464 smiengine.dll
10/11/2012  12:56 AM            26,112 spflvrnt.dll
07/12/2013  06:01 AM            65,880 spprgrss.dll
07/12/2013  06:01 AM           459,608 spwizeng.dll
10/11/2012  01:22 AM             7,680 spwizres.dll
07/12/2013  04:15 AM           118,272 ssshim.dll
07/12/2013  05:42 AM            57,856 testplugin.dll
07/12/2013  06:01 AM           256,344 unattend.dll
07/12/2013  05:41 AM           970,240 unbcl.dll
07/12/2013  02:23 AM           716,800 upgloader.dll
10/10/2012  08:44 PM            12,711 upgrade_frmwrk.xml
07/12/2013  02:47 AM           546,816 upgreport.dll
07/12/2013  06:01 AM           183,128 uxlib.dll
10/11/2012  01:22 AM             2,560 uxlibres.dll
10/11/2012  01:22 AM         2,888,704 w32uiimg.dll
07/12/2013  06:01 AM           204,632 w32uires.dll
07/06/2012  04:18 PM               597 warning.gif
10/10/2012  11:29 PM           843,264 wdsclient.dll
10/10/2012  11:34 PM           285,184 wdsclientapi.dll
07/12/2013  02:55 AM           272,384 wdscore.dll
10/10/2012  11:46 PM            72,704 wdscsl.dll
07/12/2013  02:03 AM           850,432 wdsimage.dll
10/10/2012  11:32 PM           610,816 wdstptc.dll
10/11/2012  01:44 AM            57,344 wdsutil.dll
07/12/2013  06:01 AM           605,528 win32ui.dll
07/12/2013  06:01 AM         2,582,872 winsetup.dll

 Eventually I rolled IP 1.60 back to 1.50 on this one server and problem goes away.

 

Anyways - just a heads up that 1.60 has issues - or atleast with 2008 R2 volume licensing media.  I'm going the play with it further once I get these two servers deployed for the customer.  I've got a pair of DL385p Gen8 servers here in my lab that I can trash to test with once I get some time.

 

dcc

Who Me Too'd this topic