1753963 Members
7311 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Who Me Too'd this topic

Mike O.
Regular Advisor

NC552m NIC on BL460c G8 intermittely drops off in VMWare 5.1.

We have several C7000 chassis, with a number of G7 and G8 blades running VMWare 5.1 update2 (using the latest HP customized image). Most of our blades are the 465 AMD based models. Our standard G8 configuration has the on board FLB Broadcom flex-10 NIC, and an NC552 Emulex flex-10 on mezz2.

We've set up the NIC's to define all four possible flex NIC's from each port, but we currently only have the first on each set up at 10Gb. VMWare sees them as vmnic0 and vmnic1 on the Broadcom, and vmnic8 and vmnic9 as the Emulex.

We've been running this configuration for most of the year on the 465 G8.

Recently we purchased some Intel based 460 G8 blades for a new project. We configured them with the NIC's the same as the other G8's, with the 330FLB Broadcom, and the NC552 Emulex. I've installed and configured them the same as the other G8's (in their own VSphere cluster). I put a couple of minor test VM's on them to verify that the function OK.

The seem to work OK at first, but after a few hours it looks like the Emulex hardware just disappears. On the Network Adapters page, vmnic8 and vmnic9 are still listed, but show as "down", and the bold print line with "Emulex Corp HP Flex-10…552M Adapter" line is missing.

I reboot and everything is working OK for a while. It's done it on all three of the new 460 blades I've installed (not at the same time).  There doesn't seem to be any trigger event, VMWare just logs a message that "physical NIC vmnic8 is down".

The firmware and drivers match the latest in the HP recipe page. The OA and virtual connect firmware is also up to date. The other G8's in the same chassis, with the same NIC configuration are working fine.

I'll probably open a support ticket (with HP or VMWare, not sure which...), but I'm hoping someone else has seen this and can give me some advice.

Mike O.

Who Me Too'd this topic