1752754 Members
5344 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Who Me Too'd this topic

HankBurton
Occasional Visitor

HPE 2530 switch problems with POE and Cisco phones with key management unit

I've installed an HP 2530 48 port switch, and I'm having problems getting Cisco 8851 phones with a key management side car / add on.  The KEM won't power up on all phones.  There are five phones with this setup. One actually powers on, but the other 4 don't.  I cannot tell if it's a config issue on the switch or something with the phone config.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to the phone config.

With the default switch configuration, the phones startup and indicate that the accessory cannot be started. When I look at the phone log, I find a line item indicating that a request for power is made but it is denied.  This is with the POE+ option TLV enabled.

If I turn off POE+ and just use LLDP-MED, the accessory still doesn't power up but there is no message about the accessory not being started.  When I look at the phone log, I find a lite item about a timeout occuring when the request for additional power is made.

I don't manage the phones.  I'm trying to get the HP switch in place to avoid having my client purchase the Cisco switches the phone vendor wants to install.  There's almost a 3x price difference !!!

Thanks for your help.

Who Me Too'd this topic